Predictive power of Pediatric Trauma Score (PTS) in predicting of child’s mortality Predictive power of Pediatric Trauma Score (PTS)
Iranian Journal of Pediatric Surgery,
Vol. 8 No. 2 (2022),
26 October 2022
Trauma is a serious global health issue, and children are among the world's most vulnerable victims. Pediatric Trauma Score (PTS) is a rating for the prediction of death in pediatric with trauma .This study aimed to evaluate the predictive power of PTS in predicting death in children with trauma.
Methods: This prospective study was part of a national study to develop a primary model for estimating mortality by adjusting the severity of injury in Iran. Which was performed on 92 pediatric trauma participants. To predict the predictive power of PTS, the Area under the Curve (AUC), 95 % confidence interval (95 % CI), sensitivity, specificity, coefficient of determination and, odds ratio were utilized. All tests were carried out with a significance level of 0.05.
Results: The mean age of patients participating in this study was 11.86 ± 4.94 years and 68 (73.91%) of them were male. The most common injury type was head and face (53.26%) trauma and the most common cause of trauma was motorcycle accidents (27.17%), respectively. The AUC value for PTS score was 0.911 and its coefficient of determination (R2) was 38%.
Conclusion: PTS is a good score for predicting trauma death in children in Iran. PTS can be used especially for triage of children with trauma in hospitals.
- PTS, Pediatric, Traffic Accident, Wounds and Injury, Prognostic
How to Cite
2. Vallipakorn SA-o, Plitapolkarnpim A, Suriyawongpaisal P, Techakamolsuk P, Smith GA, Thakkinstian A. Risk prediction score for death of traumatised and injured children. BMC pediatrics. 2014;14(1):1-13.
3. Farzandipour M GH, Mazrouei L, Nejati M, Aghabagheri T. Epidemiological Study of Traumatic Patients Referred to Neghavi Hospital of Kashan. Journal of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. 2007;11(1):68-58.
4. Asadi P aea. Epidemiology of trauma in children admitted to poursina teching hospital. J of Guilan University of Medical sciences 2015;23(1):9-15.
5. McFadyen JG, Ramaiah R, Bhananker SM. Initial assessment and management of pediatric trauma patients. International journal of critical illness and injury science. 2012;2(3):121.
6. Kundal VK, Debnath PR, Sen A. Epidemiology of pediatric trauma and its pattern in urban India: A tertiary care hospital-based experience. Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons. 2017;22(1):33.
7. Myers SR, Branas CC, French B, Nance ML, Carr BG. A national analysis of pediatric trauma care utilization and outcomes in the United States. Pediatric emergency care. 2019;35(1):1.
8. McLaughlin C, Zagory JA, Fenlon M, Park C, Lane CJ, Meeker D, et al. Timing of mortality in pediatric trauma patients: A National Trauma Data Bank analysis. Journal of pediatric surgery. 2018;53(2):344-51.
9. Pande A, Soni KD. Management of pediatric trauma. Journal of Pediatric Critical Care. 2019;6(3):31.
10. Arhami Dolatabadi Ali MN, Amiri Marzieh, Motamed Hassan and Halimi Asl Aliasghar. Epidemiology of pediatric trauma referred to the emergency department of Imam Hossein Hospital. Iranian Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2016;3(1):8-4.
11. Aluisio AR, Umuhire OF, Mbanjumucyo G, George N, Kearney A, Karim N, et al. Epidemiologic characteristics of pediatric trauma patients receiving prehospital care in Kigali, Rwanda. Pediatric emergency care. 2019;35(9):630-6.
12. Brown JB, Gestring ML, Leeper CM, Sperry JL, Peitzman AB, Billiar TR, et al. The value of the injury severity score in pediatric trauma: Time for a new definition of severe injury? The journal of trauma and acute care surgery. 2017;82(6):995.
13. Bolstridge J, O'Neil ER, Aden JK, Muisyo T, Spinella PC, Borgman MA. Use of the big score to predict mortality in pediatric trauma. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2021;45:472-5.
14. de Munter L, Polinder S, Lansink KW, Cnossen MC, Steyerberg EW, de Jongh MA. Mortality prediction models in the general trauma population: A systematic review. Injury. 2017;48(2):221-9.
15. Rahimi movaghar .M SH S-bH KM, and et al. TRAUMA Explanation,Management and Research. Tehran university of medical sciences: publish with Sina Surgical and Trauma Research Center; 2016.
16. Aprahamian C, Cattey RP, Walker AP, Gruchow HW, Seabrook G. Pediatric Trauma Score: predictor of hospital resource use? Archives of Surgery. 1990;125(9):1128-31.
17. Kaufmann CR, Maier RV, Rivara FP, Carrico CJ. Evaluation of the pediatric trauma score. Jama. 1990;263(1):69-72.
18. Memarzadeh Mehrdad HM, Sanjari Nasrin and Karimi Zahra. Epidemiological study of trauma in children referred to Al-Zahra Hospital in Isfahan from 2004 to 2007. Feyz journal. 2010;14(5):488-93.
19. Panahi F MNS, Aziabadi Farahani M, Aasari Sh. Ambulance Runs for Pediatric Trauma in Tehran. Iran J Surg. 2007;15(1):67-59.
20. Sharma M, Lahoti B, Khandelwal G, Mathur R, Sharma S, Laddha A. Epidemiological trends of pediatric trauma. A single-center study of. 2011;791:88-92.
21. Karbakhsh M ZM, Zarei MR, Khaji A. childhood injurise in tehran. Turk J Pediatr. 2008;50(4):317-25.
22. Schauer SG, April MD, Hill GJ, Naylor JF, Borgman MA, De Lorenzo RA. Prehospital interventions performed on pediatric trauma patients in Iraq and Afghanistan. Prehospital Emergency Care. 2018;22(5):624-9.
23. Jalalvandi F, Arasteh P, Faramani RS, Esmaeilivand M. Epidemiology of pediatric trauma and its patterns in Western Iran: a hospital based experience. Global journal of health science. 2016;8(6):139.
24. Sultanoğlu H, Özkan S, Sultanoğlu TE, Kavak N. Comparison of Trauma Scoring Systems in Pediatric Trauma Patients. Eurasian J Emerg Med. 2019;18(1):1-8.
25. Fieber J. Use Of The Pediatric Trauma Score To Triage Severity Of Childhood Injury. 2014.
26. Ziaee M, Mirafzal A. Association of base deficit with mortality in pediatric trauma. Journal of Emergency Practice and Trauma. 2016;2(2):50-4.
27. Cantais E, Paut O, Giorgi R, Viard L, Camboulives J. Evaluating the prognosis of multiple, severely traumatized children in the intensive care unit. Intensive care medicine. 2001;27(9):1511-7.
28. Essa AA, El-Shaboury IM, Ibrahim MA, Abdelgwad EA, Gadelrab MA. Prognostic predictors in polytraumatized children and their impact on outcome. International Surgery Journal. 2017;4(3):1014-8.
29. Llompart-Pou J, Chico-Fernández M, Sánchez-Casado M, Salaberria-Udabe R, Carbayo-Górriz C, Guerrero-López F, et al. Scoring severity in trauma: comparison of prehospital scoring systems in trauma ICU patients. European journal of trauma and emergency surgery. 2017;43(3):351-7.
- Abstract Viewed: 108 times
- PDF Downloaded: 73 times