Relation between cold weather and testicular torsion in children
Iranian Journal of Pediatric Surgery,
Vol. 2 No. 2 (2016),
11 February 2017
Introduction: Reports were recently published in relation to cold weather and testicular torsion (TT) that is why we decided to evaluate this hypothesis risk factor at our children’s hospital.The aim of this study is to evaluate the relation between cold weather and testicular torsion in children.
Material and Methods: In this retrospective and descriptive study from January 2011 to December 2015, onehundredseventypatients were admitted at Mofid Children’s Hospital due to acute scrotum. According to our center guidelines, those patients who had proven TT were candidates for this study. The records of all operated children wereanalyzed according toage, season of year, and operation type.
Results: A total of one hundred seventy patients were included in this study within five years, with a mean age of 28.6+ 32.9months (range1 to 144).Winter season was the peak time for testicular torsion (42%).
Conclusion: The incidence of testicular torsion increases during cold weather.
- Testicular torsion
- Cold weather
How to Cite
-Schneck FX, Bellinger MF, Testicular torsion: in Campbell's Urology. Vol 4,9thed.Saunders, 2007:3773.
-Sparks JP: Torsion of the testis. Ann R CollSurg Engl 1971;49:77-91.
- Williams CR, Heaven KJ, Joseph DB: Testicular torsion: is there a seasonal predilection for occurrence? Urology 2003;6:638-641.
- Driscoll PA, Brume J, Meehan SE: Cold weather and testicular torsion. Br Med J Clin Res ED1983;286:1751.
- Cost NG, Bush NC, Barber TD Huang R, et al: Pediatric testicular torsion: demographics of national orchiopexy versus orchioectomy rates. J Urol 2011;185:2459-2463.
- Khaleghnejad-Tabari A, Mirshemirani A, Mahmodi M: Early exploration in management of acute scrotum in children. Iran J Pediatr 2010;20:466-470.
- Rouzrokh M, Mirshemirani A, Khaleghnejad-Tabari A: Outcomes of second look exploration in testicular torsion of children. Iran J Peditr 2015;25:e528.
-Korkes F, Cabral PR, Alvez CD, et al: Testicular torsion and weather condition: Analysis of 21,289 cases in Brazil. Int Braz J Urol 2012;38:222-8.
-Sparks JP: Torsion of the testis in adolescents and young adults: some comments on clinical expressions and management. Clin Pediatr 1972;11:484-6.
- Shukla RB, Kelly DG, Daly L, et al: Association of cold weather with testicular torsion. Br Med J Clin Res Ed1982;285:1459-1460.
- Molokwu CN, SomaniBK, Goodman CM: Outcomes of scrotal exploration for acute scrotal Pain suspicious of testicular torsion: a consecutive case series of 173 patients. Br J Urol Int 2011;107:990-993.
- Al-Hunayan AA, HanafyAM, KehindeEO, et al: Testicular torsion: a perspective from the middle East. Med Princ Int J Kuwait Uni Health Sci Cent 2004;13:255-259.
- Srinivasan AK, Freyle J, Gitlin JS, et al: Climatic conditions and the risk of testicular torsion in adolescent males. J Urol 2007;178:2585-2588.
- Mabogunje OA: Testicular torsion and low relative humidity in a tropical country. Br Med J Clin Res Ed 1986;292:363-364.
- Chiu B, ChenCS, KllerJJ,et al: Easonality of testicular torsion: a 10-year nationwide population based study. J Urol 2012;187:1781-1785.
- Chen JS, Lin YM, Yang WH: Diurnal temperature change is associated with testicular torsion: a nationwide, population based study in Taiwan. J rol 2013; 190:228-232.
- Gomes DO, Vidal RR, Foeppel BF, et al: Cold weather is a predisposing factor for testicular torsion in a tropical country. A retrospective study. Sao Paulo Med J 2015;133:187-190.
- Abstract Viewed: 651 times
- PDF Downloaded: 212 times