Open reduction and internal fixation of the bilateral proximal humeral fracture dislocation with head splitting in an active young adult: a rare case
Researcher Bulletin of Medical Sciences,
Vol. 25 No. 1 (2020),
Proximal humeral fracture is a common injury particularly in elderly. A proper management of these fractures is very challenging, based on the various characteristics of patient, fracture anatomy, equipment and the surgeon experience. Bilateral PHF is a rare condition, which almost always caused by seizure, electric shock and trauma, respectively. An appropriate treatment of these patients needs especial attention to obtain a good clinical outcome.
We report a 29-year-old patient who suffered from bilateral proximal humeral fracture with posterior dislocation and splitted humeral head due to the combined mechanism of injury including severe trauma after high voltage electric shock. We did not find similar case(s) reported before in the literature. The patient treated with bilateral open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF). He was able to do his daily activities after 6 months
- ORIF; Bilateral proximal humerus fractures; Shoulder surgery; Electrocution; Neer classification
How to Cite
2. Ebrahimpour A, Zandi R, Sajjadi MM, Sadighi M, Karimi A, Okhovatpour MA, Moradi P. Treatment of Proximal Humeral Fractures Using Minimally Invasive Plate Osteosynthesis. Trauma Monthly. 2018 Sep 8;23(6):e60717-.
3. Court-Brown CM, Garg A, McQueen MM. The epidemiology of proximal humeral fractures. Acta orthopaedica Scandinavica. 2001 Jan 1;72(4):365-71.
4. Brackstone M, Patterson SD, Kertesz A. Triple “E” syndrome: bilateral locked posterior fracture dislocation of the shoulders. Neurology. 2001 May 22;56(10):1403-4.
5. Hsu CJ, Hsu HC, Fong YC, Kuo CC, Wang DY. Bilateral locked posterior fracture-dislocation of the shoulders due to electric shock. Mid-Taiwan Journal of Medicine. 2006 Jun 1;11(2):132-7.
6. Handoll HH, Brorson S. Interventions for treating proximal humeral fractures in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2015(11).
7. Thakur A, Muzzafar K, Charak SS, Dev B, Ghani A. Evaluation of results of three and four-part fracture dislocations of proximal humerus in young adults using philos (proximal humerus internal locking system). International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2018 Feb;6(2):585.
8. Soliman OA, Koptan WM. Four-part fracture dislocations of the proximal humerus in young adults: results of fixation. Injury. 2013 Apr 1;44(4):442-7.
9. Hertel R, Hempfing A, Stiehler M, Leunig M. Predictors of humeral head ischemia after intracapsular fracture of the proximal humerus. Journal of shoulder and elbow surgery. 2004 Jul 1;13(4):427-33.
10. Hawkins RJ, Pianta RM, Mendoza FX. Locked posterior dislocation of the shoulder. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume. 1987 Jan;69(1):9-18s.
11. Plausinis D, Kwon YW, Zuckerman JD. Complications of humeral head replacement for proximal humeral fractures. JBJS. 2005 Jan 1;87(1):204-13.
12. Mansat P, Guity MR, Bellumore Y, Mansat M. Shoulder arthroplasty for late sequelae of proximal humeral fractures. Journal of shoulder and elbow surgery. 2004 May 1;13(3):305-12.
13. Königshausen M, Rausch V, Mempel E, von Glinski A, Ull C, Bernstorff M, Schildhauer T, Seybold D, Gessmann J. Bilateral Proximal Humerus Fracture–a Rare Combination with a High Complication Rate after Surgery. Zeitschrift für Orthopädie und Unfallchirurgie. 2018 Dec;156(06):646-52.
14. Mynter H. XIV. Subacromial dislocation from muscular spasm. Annals of surgery. 1902 Jul;36(1):117.
15. Ellanti P, Harrington P. Functional outcome after simultaneous bilateral four-part proximal humerus fracture: a comparison of ORIF and hemiarthroplasty in an individual patient. Case reports in orthopedics. 2012;2012.
16. Jaiswal A, Kachchhap ND, Chaterjee R, Tanwar YS, Habib M, Singh SP. Bilateral traumatic proximal humerus fractures managed by open reduction and internal fixation with locked plates. Chinese Journal of Traumatology. 2013 Dec 1;16(6):379-81.
17. Uppal HS, Robinson PW, Packham I, Crowther M. The management of bilateral posterior fracture dislocations of the shoulder: a case series illustrating management options. Shoulder & elbow. 2016 Apr;8(2):111-7.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- e11 Downloaded: 0 times