Study of symptoms of anxiety and depression and quality of life before and after radioactive iodine intake in patients with thyroid cancer
Researcher Bulletin of Medical Sciences,
Vol. 24 No. 1 (2019),
31 August 2020
Introduction: Thyroid cancer can affect the quality of life of patients and no validated study has been
conducted to evaluate the quality of life in patients with thyroid cancer in Iran. The purpose of this
study was to evaluate the changes of quality of life in patients with thyroid cancer treated with
Materials and Methods: According to a prospective longitudinal study, quality of life and mood in
these patients were studied by two questionnaires: Short Form Health Survey (SF36) and Hospital
Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) provided to the patients by the researcher. The questionnaires
were completed one month before iodine injection, on the day of injection, at the end of the second
week, and sixth month after radioactive iodine injection. The patients were treated in two groups of
100 and 150 μ Curie. After completing the questionnaires, the resulting scores at four different time
points were evaluated and compared.
Results: The mean SF36 scores were lower than one month before iodine intake and after 6 months,
the mean scores were lower than one month before iodine intake. The mean HADS scores one month
after iodine intake were not significantly different from the time of iodine intake, but after two weeks,
anxiety and depression were reduced, and the result continued till the sixth months. No difference was
found in the levels of anxiety and depression between the doses of 100 and 150 μ Curie.
Conclusion: The highest level of anxiety and depression and quality of life during the first two weeks
of iodine intake reduced with time and iodine intake dose did not affect it.
- Thyroid cancer; Radioactive iodine; Quality of life
How to Cite
2. Howlader N , Noone AM , krapcho M , Neyman N , Aminou R , Waldron W , et al.SEER cancer statistic review , 1975-2008. Bethesda, MD:national cancer institude 2010.
3. Holzner B , K emmler G , K opp M , M oschen R , S chweigkofl er H , Dunser M , et al . Quality of life in breast cancer patients –not enough attention for long-term survivors? Psychosomatics2001 42 : 117 – 23
4. National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship. [cited 2012Jun 4]. Available from: http://www.canceradvocacy.org/
5. Dow KH, F errell BR , A nello C . Q uality-of-life changes in patients with thyroid cancer after withdrawal of thyroid hormone therapy . Thyroid 1997 ; 7 : 613 – 9 .
6. Montazeri A, Goshtasebi A, Vahdaninia M, Gandek B. The short form Health Survey (SF-36): Translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Qual Life Res. 2005; (14): 875-82
7. Asghari A, Faghehi S. Validation of the SF-36 health survey questionnaire in two Iranian samples J Daneshvar Raftar. 2003;1:1
8. Lee JI, Kim SH, Tan AH, Kim HK, Jang HW, Hur KY, et al. Decreased healthrelated quality of life in disease-free survivors of differentiated thyroid cancer in Korea. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2010 8:101
9. Black N 2013 Patient reported outcome measures could help transform healthcare. BMJ 346:f167.
10. Frendl DM, Ware JE Jr 2014 Patient-reported functional health and well-being outcomes with drug therapy: a systematic review of randomized trials using the SF-36 health survey. Med Care 52:439–445.
11. borqet I , bonastre J , catarqi B, deandreis D , zerdoud S , bardet S , et al Quality of Life and Cost-Effectiveness Assessment of Radioiodine Ablation Strategies in Patients With Thyroid Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2015 :10:33
12. Olga H , Willy AN , Wilma A , Harm R , Lonneke V , Floortje M . Fatigue Among Short- and Long-Term Thyroid Cancer Survivors: Results from the Population-Based PROFILES Registry .THYROID . 2013;23:10.
13. Per C, Kristian H, Torquil W, Steen J, Jakob B, Ola E . Quality-of-Life Impairments Persist Six Months After Treatment of Graves’ Hyperthyroidism and Toxic Nodular Goiter.THYROID . 2016 ;26:8.
14. Hong X , Hua Z , Yue D , Cui P , Ying Z , Wei Z. Psychologic and behavioral intervention improves thr quality of life and mental health of patient suffering from differentiated thyroid cancer treated with postoperative radioactive iodine.neuropsychiatric disease and treatment. 2016 ;12:1055.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- e21 Downloaded: 0 times