Study on the rate of using, awareness and satisfaction of scientific database by Mazandaran University of Medical Science student’s and related factors to it
Researcher Bulletin of Medical Sciences,
Vol. 24 No. 1 (2019),
Introduction: Scientific databases are one of the most important information resources in academic community and can play determinative role in different aims and goals of student. This study aimed to determine the rate of using, awareness and satisfaction of scientific database among student of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences.
Materials and Methods: This study is an applied-survey study and has been done during the 2016-2017 educational period. Self-questionnaire that made according to review of internal and external resources about the subject (in 6-sections), and its reliability and validity being approved, distributed among 238 Students of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences (Master, PhD, Doctors and Medical residents). To analysis data, we use descriptive statistics, statistical test and SPSS 16.
Results: Findings show that most of student use scientific database because of clinical activities (average of 4.27). Also we funded that most knowledge level of those students about database were ISI (average of 4.43) and they used Pubmed more than other database (4.30). Also the highest satisfaction rate of database was ISI (4.28) and “unfamiliarity with the English language "funded as the most barriers related to use of scientific database.
Conclusion: Rate of using, awareness and satisfaction of scientific database among student of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences was more than average and close to high level. Mazandaran Medical Science University by planning and tacking suitable policy and also destroy of barriers and challenges can provided better conditions of student's using scientific database and created cause of growth of their scientific and professional developments.
- Information resource; Online database; Scientific database; Student
How to Cite
2. Alijani R, Dehghani L. Historical overview of emergence and development of online retrieval. Information Sciences and Technology 2008; 21(4): 65- 79.
3. Falagas ME, Pitsouni EI, Malietzis GA, Pappas G. Comparison of PubMed, Scopus, web of science, and Google scholar: strengths and weaknesses. The FASEB journal. 2008 Feb 1;22(2):338-42.
4. Naushad Ali PM, Nisha F. Use of e-journals among research scholars at Central Science Library, University of Delhi.Collection Building. 2011 Jan 18;30(1):53-60.
5. Azami M, Fatahi R. Database Graphic User Interface correspondence with Ellis Information Seeking behavior Model. Journal of Information Processing and Management. 2010; 25 (2) :247-264
6. Rahmani M, Hajizaynolabedini M. Measurement and Assessment of environmental and occupational health the Academic libraries in Tehran.Journal of Information System and Services. 2015; 7(4): 63-74.
7. Sadeghi H, Okhovati M. Recall and Precision of Iranmedex, Magiran and SID (Scientific Information Database) databases for retrieval of scholarly information in the Field of Pharmacy Health Inf Manage 2014; 11(3):442.
8. Shahbazi M, Shahini S. Study of the the efficacy Magiran, Noormags and SID database in retrieval and relevance of Information Science and Knowledge subject by free keywords and Compare them in terms of the use of controlled keywords. Journal of Information Processing and Management. 2016; 31 (2) :431-454
9. Atashkar M, AlipourHafezi M, Norouzi Y. Identification of Tehran University graduate student familiarity with Google Scholar Database. Journal of Information System and Services. 2014; 3(1,2): 61-78.
10. Mohajeri F, AlijanpourKasgari M. A survey of students’ familiarity and use of online databases in Babol University of Medical Sciences.Journal of Epistemology. 2010; 3(8): 83-96.
11. Khalili M, Matlabi D. Online Services at the Urumia University of Medical Sciences: a use and user study. NASTINFO. 2014; 24(4): 24-40.
12. Hariri N, Fazli F. A study on the usage of electronic journals, databases and Alert services by faculty members of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences.Journal of Epistemology. 2012; 5(16): 49-60.
13. Dadzie PS. Electronic resources: access and usage at Ashesi University College. Campus-Wide Information Systems. 2005;22(5):290-7.
14. Hayati Z, Joukar T. The Familiarity of Graduate Students in Shiraz University with EBSCO, ProQuest, ScienceDirect, and Elsevier Full-Text Databases and Their Usage of These Databases.NASTINFO. 2013; 24(1): 118-135.
15. Majid S, Tee Tan A. Usage of information resources by computer engineering students: a case study of Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. Online Information Review. 2002 Oct 1;26(5):318-25.
16. MojiriSh, Rakhsh F, Rahimi AR. Evaluating Features of Search in Online Databases of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences Central Library Website according to International Criteria. Health Information Management 2012; 9(2):215- 223.
17. Romanov K, Aarnio M. A survey of the use of electronic scientific information resources among medical and dental students. BMC Medical Education. 2006;6(1):28.
18. Peterson MW, Rowat J, Kreiter C, Mandel J. Medical students’ use of information resources: Is the digital age dawning?. Academic medicine. 2004 ;79(1):89-95.
19. Salajeghe M, Osareh F, Momenabadi M. Online databases in Kerman University of Medical Sciences and meeting students’ information needs. Journal of Epistemology. 2016; 8(31): 59-72.
20. Groote S, Dorsch J. Measuring use patterns of Online Journals and Databases. Journal of Med LibrAssos. 2003; 91(2): 231-241.
21. Abazari Z, Riahi A, Sohbatiha F, Siamian H, YaminFiroz M. A Comparative Study Of Medical Journals And Articles Growth In Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office Member Countries. payavard. 2015; 9 (3):235-248
22. Mohammad Esmaeil S, Riahi A, Sohbatiha F. Qualitative and quantitative evaluation of iranian journals in Scopus database during 2000-2012. CJS. 2014; 1 (1):33-39
23. Sayad Berger M, Ziaee S, Aghazadeh E, Momtrazan E, Fathi R, Hoseini SA. A survey on usage of Central Library databases by faculty members and students at Ahvaz Jundishapur University of medical sciences in 2014-2015. Educational Development of Jundishapur. 2015; 6(2): 176-184.
24. Farzaneh E, Amani F, Tafaroji R, Aghayi M H. Awareness of Ardabil Medical Students in the Use of Electronic Information Resources. Research in Medical Education. 2015; 7 (2):61-68
25. Tanacković SF, Ivanovic MD, Cupar D. Scholarly electronic databases and library & information sciences students in Croatia: motivations, uses and barriers. Information Research. 2017 Mar 1;22(1).
26. Riahi A, Hariri N, Nooshinfard F. Study of health Information needs and barriers to access among afghan and iraqi immigrants in Iran. JNKUMS. 2016; 7 (3):597-610
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times
- e10 Downloaded: 0 times