Treatment of Cystic Craniopharyngioma with Intracystic Stereotactic Instillation of Phosphorus 32
Iranian Journal of Child Neurology,
Vol. 11 No. 3 (2017),
3 July 2017
How to Cite This Article: Shahzadi S, Soltani A, Shahzadi A, Parsa Kh. Treatment of Cystic Craniopharyngioma with Intracystic Stereotactic Instillation of Phosphorus 32. Iran J Child Neurol. Summer 2017; 11(3):31-36.
Cystic craniopharyngiomas are considered the most common intracranial nonglial tumor in children with the tendency for cyst formations. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of intracystic phosphorus 32 (P32) therapies on controlling the growth of the cystic component of craniopharyngioma.
Materials & Methods
This clinical study was conducted on 47 patients with cystic craniopharyngioma from March 1998 to June 2012 at Shohada Tajrish Hospital, Tehran, Iran.
Patients were treated with stereotactic intracystic P32. The mean cyst volume was 23.5 ml, and the dose of radiation to the inner cyst wall was 250 Gy.
The overall response rate was 78.1% and the mean survival was 113.1±11months.
The survival rate at 1, 3, 5, and 10 years after p32 therapy was 91%, 77%, 73%, and 52%, respectively. There was no mortality related to the procedure and no visual or endocrinal deterioration. Visual improvement occurred in 88% of patients presented with recent deterioration due to the cyst enlargement.
Intracystic p32 therapy was an effective and almost safe procedure for the treatment of cystic component of craniopharyngioma.
1. Shahzadi S, Sharifi G, Andalibi R, Zali A, Ali-Asgari A. Management of cystic craniopharyngiomas with intracavitary irradiation with P32. Arch Iran Med 2008;11(1):30-4.
2. Komotar RJ, Roguski M, Bruce JN. Surgical management of craniopharyngiomas. J Neurooncol 2009;92(3):283- 96.
3. Garnett MR, Puget S, Grill J, Sainte-Rose C. Craniopharyngioma. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2007;2:18.
4. Dekkers OM, Biermasz NR, Smit JW, et al. Quality of life in treated adult craniopharyngioma patients. Eur J Endocrinol 2006;154(3):483-9.
5. Bartels U, Laperriere N, Bouffet E, Drake J. Intracystic therapies for cystic craniopharyngioma in childhood. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2012;3:39.
6. Basso A, Socolovsky M, Goland J. Actualization of treatment options in Craniopharyngioma: a comparative analysis of different therapeutic modalities. The World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (WFNS): Available From: http://www.wfns.org/pages/read_the_reviews/97. php?rid=4
7. Leng LZ, Greenfield JP, Souweidane MM, Anand VK, Schwartz TH. Endoscopic, endonasal resection of craniopharyngiomas: analysis of outcome including extent of resection, cerebrospinal fluid leak, return to preoperative productivity, and body mass index. Neurosurgery 2012;70(1):110-23.
8. Zhao R, Deng J, Liang X, Zeng J, Chen X, Wang J. Treatment of cystic craniopharyngioma with phosphorus-32 intracavitary irradiation. Childs Nerv Syst 2010;26(5):669-74.
9. Kobayashi T, Kageyama N, Ohara K. Internal irradiation for cystic craniopharyngioma. J Neurosurg 1981;55(6):896-903.
10. Trippel M, Nikkhah G. Stereotactic neurosurgical treatment options for craniopharyngioma. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2012;3:63.
11. Fahlbusch R, Honegger J, Paulus W, et al. Surgical treatment of craniopharyngiomas: experience with 168
patients. J Neurosurg 1999;90(2):237-50.
12. Elliott RE, Hsieh K, Hochm T, et al. Efficacy and safety of radical resection of primary and recurrent
craniopharyngiomas in 86 children. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2010;5(1):30-48.
13. Müller HL, Gebhardt U, Teske C, et al. Post-operative hypothalamic lesions and obesity in childhood craniopharyngioma: results of the multinational prospective trial KRANIOPHARYNGEOM 2000 after 3-year follow-up. Eur J Endocrinol 2001;165(1):17-24.
14. Clark AJ, Cage TA, Aranda D, et al. Treatmentrelated morbidity and the management of pediatric craniopharyngioma: a systematic review. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2012;10(4):293-301.
15. Schoenfeld A, Pekmezci M, Barnes MJ, et al. The superiority of conservative resection and adjuvant radiation for craniopharyngiomas J Neurooncol 2012;108(1):133-9.
16. Jang WY, Lee KS, Son BC, et al. Repeat operations in pediatric patients with recurrent craniopharyngiomas. Pediatr Neurosurg 2009;45(6):451-5.
17. Barriger RB, Chang A, Lo SS, Timmerman RD, Des Rosiers C, Boaz JC, et al. Phosphorus-32 therapy for cystic craniopharyngiomas. Radiother Oncol 2011;98(2):207-12.
18. Tian ZM. Stereotactic intracavitary irradiation of huge cystic craniopharyngiomas. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 1992;30(2):102-3.
19. Pollock BE, Lunsford LD, Kondziolka D, ad et al. Phosphorus-32 intracavitary irradiation of cystic craniopharyngiomas: current technique and long-term results. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1995 ;33(2):437-46.
20. Voges J, Sturm V, Lehrke R, et al. Cystic craniopharyngioma: long-term results after intracavitary irradiation with stereotactically applied colloidal beta-emitting radioactive sources. Neurosurgery 1997;40(2):263-9.
21. Julow J, Backlund EO, Lányi F, et al. Long-term results and late complications after intracavitary yttrium-90 colloid irradiation of recurrent cystic craniopharyngiomas. Neurosurgery 2007;61(2):288-95.
22. Hasegawa T, Kondziolka D, Hadjipanayis CG, Lunsford LD. Management of cystic craniopharyngiomas with phosphorus-32 intracavitary irradiation. Neurosurgery 2004;54(4):813-20.
23. Anderson DR, Trobe JD, Taren JA, Gebarski SS. Visual outcome in cystic craniopharyngiomas treated with intracavitary phosphorus-32. Ophthalmology 1989;96(12):1786-92.
24. Kodama T, Matsukado Y, Uemura S. Intracapsular irradiation therapy of craniopharyngiomas with radioactive gold: indication and follow-up results. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 1981;21(1):49-58.
25. Backlund EO, Axelsson B, Bergstrand CG, et al. Treatment of craniopharyngiomas--the stereotactic approach in a ten to twenty-three years’ perspective. I. Surgical, radiological and ophthalmological aspects. Acta Neurochir (Wien 1989;99(1-2):11-9.
26. Van den Berge JH, Blaauw G, Breeman WA, et al. Intracavitary brachytherapy of cystic craniopharyngiomas. J Neurosurg 1992;77(4):545-50.
- Cystic craniopharyngioma
- Phosphorus 32
- Abstract Viewed: 379 times
- PDF Downloaded: 161 times