Evaluation of HER2 cell surface protein expression in differentiated thyroid cancers and its relationship with tumor size and stage
School of Medicine Students' Journal,
Vol. 3 No. 2 (2021),
1 June 2021
Background & Aim: we aimed to evaluate the expression of HER2 marker in differentiated thyroid cancers and its correlation with tumor size and stage.
Materials and Methods: this is a cross-sectional study that was performed at Tehran Shohada-E-Tajrish hospital from 2015 to 2019. Patients with differentiated thyroid cancer were enrolled in the study. Patients’ baseline characteristics and tumor properties were recorded. Expression of tumor marker testing was conducted with IHC. Analysis was performed with SPSS version 20.
Results: fifty cases of thyroid cancer with a mean age of 46.6 years (78% females) were evaluated. 86% of cases were PTC, 10% FTC, and 4% hurthle cell carcinoma. HER2 positivity rate was 34% totally. HER2 positivity in FTC and PTC patients was 40% and 34.9%, respectively. 84% of patients had a sporadic tumor. HER2 positivity rate in sporadic tumors was 28.6% and 62.5% in familial cases (p=0.063). HER2 status did not correlate with clinicopathologic factors, significantly.
Conclusion: with the findings of our study, HER2 can’t be considered a prognostic factor associated with clinicopathologic parameters.
- Thyroid cancer, HER2, papillary carcinoma, follicular carcinoma,
How to Cite
2. Kabat GC, Park Y, Hollenbeck AR, Schatzkin A, Rohan TE. Reproductive factors and exogenous hormone use and risk of adult glioma in women in the NIH‐AARP Diet and Health Study. International journal of cancer. 2011;128(4):944-50.
3. Mokhtar N, Gouda I, Adel I. Malignant endocrine system tumors. Cancer pathology registry. 2003;2004:91-3.
4. Kilfoy BA, Devesa SS, Ward MH, Zhang Y, Rosenberg PS, Holford TR, et al. Gender is an age-specific effect modifier for papillary cancers of the thyroid gland. Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention Biomarkers. 2009;18(4):1092-100.
5. Rahbari R, Zhang L, Kebebew E. Thyroid cancer gender disparity. Future Oncology. 2010;6(11):1771-9.
6. Caini S, Gibelli B, Palli D, Saieva C, Ruscica M, Gandini S. Menstrual and reproductive history and use of exogenous sex hormones and risk of thyroid cancer among women: a meta-analysis of prospective studies. Cancer Causes & Control. 2015;26(4):511-8.
7. Rajoria S, Suriano R, Shanmugam A, Wilson YL, Schantz SP, Geliebter J, et al. Metastatic phenotype is regulated by estrogen in thyroid cells. Thyroid. 2010;20(1):33-41.
8. Ieni A, Barresi V, Caltabiano R, Caleo A, Bonetti LR, Lanzafame S, et al. Discordance rate of HER2 status in primary gastric carcinomas and synchronous lymph node metastases: a multicenter retrospective analysis. International journal of molecular sciences. 2014;15(12):22331-41.
9. Ieni A, Barresi V, Giuffrè G, Caruso R, Lanzafame S, Villari L, et al. HER2 status in advanced gastric carcinoma: A retrospective multicentric analysis from Sicily. Oncology Letters. 2013;6(6):1591-4.
10. Slamon DJ, Clark GM, Wong SG, Levin WJ, Ullrich A, McGuire WL. Human breast cancer: correlation of relapse and survival with amplification of the HER-2/neu oncogene. science. 1987;235(4785):177-82.
11. Allgayer H, Babic R, Gruetzner KU, Tarabichi A, Schildberg FW, Heiss MM. c-erbB-2 is of independent prognostic relevance in gastric cancer and is associated with the expression of tumor-associated protease systems. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2000;18(11):2201-9.
12. Galera-Davidson H, González-Cámpora R, San Martín-Díez M, Martín-Lacave I, Panea-Flores P, Fernández-Sanz J, et al. Expresión del oncogén c-erb-B2 en carcinomas tiroideos de origen folicular y parafolicular. Rev Esp Patol. 1998;31(4):373-9.
13. Haugen D, Akslen L, Varhaug Ja, Lillehaug J. Expression of c-erb B-2 protein in papillary thyroid carcinomas. British journal of cancer. 1992;65(6):832-7.
14. Kremser R, Obrist P, Spizzo G, Erler H, Kendler D, Kemmler G, et al. Her2/neu overexpression in differentiated thyroid carcinomas predicts metastatic disease. Virchows Archiv. 2003;442(4):322-8.
15. Lemoine NR, Wyllie FS, Lillehaug JR, Staddon SL, Hughes CM, Aasland R, et al. Absence of abnormalities of the c-erbB-1 and c-erbB-2 proto-oncogenes in human thyroid neoplasia. European Journal of Cancer and Clinical Oncology. 1990;26(7):777-9.
16. Sugg SL, Ezzat S, Zheng L, Rosen IB, Freeman JL, Asa SL. Cytoplasmic staining of erbB‐2 but not mRNA levels correlates with differentiation in human thyroid neoplasia. Clinical endocrinology. 1998;49(5):629-37.
17. Qin C, Cau W, Zhang Y, Mghanga FP, Lan X, Gao Z, et al. Correlation of clinicopathological features and expression of molecular markers with prognosis after 131I treatment of differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Clinical nuclear medicine. 2012;37(3):e40-e6.
18. Sugishita Y, Kammori M, Yamada O, Poon SS, Kobayashi M, Onoda N, et al. Amplification of the human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 gene in differentiated thyroid cancer correlates with telomere shortening. International journal of oncology. 2013;42(5):1589-96.
19. Ruggeri RM, Campennì A, Giuffrè G, Giovanella L, Siracusa M, Simone A, et al. HER2 analysis in sporadic thyroid cancer of follicular cell origin. International journal of molecular sciences. 2016;17(12):2040.
20. Dai Y-J, Qiu Y-B, Jiang R, Xu M, Zhao L, Chen GG, et al. Concomitant high expression of ERα36, EGFR and HER2 is associated with aggressive behaviors of papillary thyroid carcinomas. Scientific reports. 2017;7(1):1-10.
21. Wei W, Jiang D, Rosenkrans ZT, Barnhart TE, Engle JW, Luo Q, et al. HER2-targeted multimodal imaging of anaplastic thyroid cancer. American journal of cancer research. 2019;9(11):2413.
22. Kavanagh DO, McIlroy M, Myers E, Bane F, Crotty TB, McDermott E, et al. The role of oestrogen receptor? in human thyroid cancer: contributions from coregulatory proteins and the tyrosine kinase receptor HER2. Endocrine-related cancer. 2010;17(1):255.
23. Zhang J, Cheng X, Su B, Wang X, Wang L, Jayachandran M, et al. The Increased Risk of Thyroid Cancer-Specific Mortality With Tumor Size in Stage IVB Patients. Frontiers in oncology. 2020;10.
24. Caria P, Cantara S, Frau DV, Pacini F, Vanni R, Dettori T. Genetic heterogeneity of HER2 amplification and telomere shortening in papillary thyroid carcinoma. International journal of molecular sciences. 2016;17(10):1759.
25. Jiwang L, Zhendong L, Shuchun L, Bo H, Yanguo L. Clinicopathologic characteristics of familial versus sporadic papillary thyroid carcinoma. Acta Otorhinolaryngologica Italica. 2015;35(4):234.
- Abstract Viewed: 5 times