Estimating Chronological Age by Dental Measurements on the Periapical Radiographs of an Iranian Adult Population
International Journal of Medical Toxicology and Forensic Medicine,
Vol. 10 No. 3 (2020),
27 September 2020
Background: This study aimed to assess the accuracy of chronological age estimation based on dental measurements made on the Periapical (PA) radiographs of an Iranian adult population.
Methods: This study evaluated 90 parallel PA radiographs of sound maxillary canine teeth of 39 males and 51 females. Tooth length, root length, pulp length, pulp width, and root width at points A, B, and C according to Kvaal’s method were measured on PA radiographs using Scanora software. The collected data were analyzed using SPSS.
Results: Maximum root width at point A provided the highest accuracy for gender estimation (77.7%). A significant correlation was noted between maximum pulp width at points B and C with age. Besides, a regression formula for age estimation was obtained.
Conclusion: Maximum pulp width at points B and C could be used for age estimation in the adult population besides other parameters.
- Forensic dentistry
How to Cite
2. Silver WE, Souviron RR. Dental autopsy. CRC Press; 2009 Jun 23.
3. Rajpal PS, Krishnamurthy V, Pagare SS, Sachdev GD. Age estimation using intraoral periapical radiographs. Journal of forensic dental sciences. 2016 Jan;8(1):56.
4. Cameriere R, Ferrante L, Belcastro MG, Bonfiglioli B, Rastelli E, Cingolani M. Age estimation by pulp/tooth ratio in canines by peri‐apical X‐rays. Journal of forensic sciences. 2007 Jan;52(1):166-70.
5. Senn DR, Stimson PG, editors. Forensic dentistry. CRC press; 2010 Jan 25.
6. Taylor J, Kieser J, editors. Forensic odontology: principles and practice. John Wiley & Sons; 2016 Feb 8.
7. Cameriere R, Cunha E, Wasterlain SN, De Luca S, Sassaroli E, Pagliara F, Nuzzolese E, Cingolani M, Ferrante L. Age estimation by pulp/tooth ratio in lateral and central incisors by peri-apical X-ray. Journal of forensic and legal medicine. 2013 Jul 1;20(5):530-6.
8. Kapoor N, Kothari P, Shukla RK, Mishra SD, Badiye A. Age estimation from tooth-pulp area ratio: A preliminary study. La Revue de Médecine Légale. 2019 Nov 30.
9. Paewinsky E, Pfeiffer H, Brinkmann B. Quantification of secondary dentine formation from orthopantomograms—a contribution to forensic age estimation methods in adults. International journal of legal medicine. 2005 Jan 1;119(1):27-30.
10. Jeevan MB, Kale AD, Angadi PV, Hallikerimath S. Age estimation by pulp/tooth area ratio in canines: Cameriere's method assessed in an Indian sample using radiovisiography. Forensic science international. 2011 Jan 30;204(1-3):209-e1.
11. Limdiwala PG, Shah JS. Age estimation by using dental radiographs. Journal of forensic dental sciences. 2013 Jul;5(2):118.
12. Patil SK, Mohankumar KP, Donoghue M. Estimation of age by Kvaal's technique in sample Indian population to establish the need for local Indian-based formulae. Journal of forensic dental sciences. 2014 Sep;6(3):166.
13. Bosmans N, Ann P, Aly M, Willems G. The application of Kvaal's dental age calculation technique on panoramic dental radiographs. Forensic Science International. 2005 Oct 29;153(2-3):208-12.
14. Agarwal N, Ahuja P, Sinha A, Singh A. Age estimation using maxillary central incisors: A radiographic study. Journal of forensic dental sciences. 2012 Jul;4(2):97.
- Abstract Viewed: 15 times