Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the stomach: A rarity
Gastroenterology and Hepatology from Bed to Bench,
Introduction: Squamous cell carcinoma of the stomach is of rare occurrence with only a few cases reported in the medical literature.
Case: We hereby present the case of a 73 year old male who presented to us with complains of abdominal pain, generalized weakness along with weight loss. His upper and lower GI endoscopies revealed no visible abnormality, following which a CT CAP was done and showed a soft tissue mass involving the stomach. EUS guided biopsies were done and revealed moderate to poorly differentiated squamous cell carcinoma. Later on radial EUS was done for staging purpose and showed T2/3, N1 disease. He was referred to the oncology team where he was administered chemotherapy on the lines of squamous cell carcinoma and is currently on regular follow-up.
Conclusion: Our case shows that in spite of having a poor come, early identification may have better consequences in the long run for these patients.
- Squamous cell carcinoma stomach; Gastric cancer; EUS
How to Cite
2. González-Sánchez JA, Vitón R, Collantes E, Rodríguez-Montes JA. Primary Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Stomach. Clin Med Insights Oncol. 2017 Jan 25;11:1179554916686076. doi: 10.1177/1179554916686076. PMID: 28469507; PMCID: PMC5395270.
3. Mardi K, Mahajan V, Sharma S, Singh S. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of stomach: A rare case report. South Asian J Cancer. 2013 Oct;2(4):199. doi: 10.4103/2278-330X.119897. PMID: 24455626; PMCID: PMC3889029.
4. Schmid CH, Schmid A, Lüttges JE, Kremer B, Henne-Bruns D. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the stomach. Report of a case and review of the literature. Hepatogastroenterology. 2002;48:1033–1036.
5. Wakabayashi H, Matsutani T, Fujita I, et al. A rare case of primary squamous cell carcinoma of the stomach and review of the 56 cases reported in Japan. J Gastric Cancer. 2014;14:58–62.
6. Chen Y, Zhu HZ, Xu F, et al. Clinicopathological characteristics, treatment, and prognosis of 21 patients with primary gastric squamous cell carcinoma. Gastroenterol Res Practice. 2016:2016:Article ID 3062547 (6 pp.).
7. Von Waagner W, Wang Z, Picon AI. A rare case of a primary squamous cell carcinoma of the stomach presenting as a submucosal mass. Case Rep Surg. 2015;2015:Article ID 482342 (5 pp.).
8. Pereira AM, Magalhães J, Almeida RF, Lima AT, Oliveira A, Nora M. Primary pure squamous cell carcinoma of the stomach: Unique case in one institution. Int J Case Rep Images 2018;9:100885Z01AP2018.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times