Accurate laboratory diagnosis of human intestinal and extra-intestinal amoebiasis
Gastroenterology and Hepatology from Bed to Bench,
Accurate diagnosis of Entamoeba histolytica is important since it is known as a causative agent of both invasive intestinal and extra-intestinal amoebiasis. Amoebiasis has a worldwide distribution, especially in developing countries, and it is responsible for up to 100,000 fatal cases annually. A number of diagnostic methods, including microscopy, culture, antigen detection, molecular based methods, and serological assays were proposed to assist the amoebiasis diagnosis. The present study aimed to review the diagnostic methods of both intestinal and extra-intestinal amoebiasis and to highlight pitfalls and challenges of each one of them. In this article, we have evaluated the amoebiasis diagnostic methods with a broad literature and using electronic databases. The search has covered the articles published up to 2021. It has been concluded that for the laboratory diagnosis of intestinal amoebiasis, culture, staining, and direct microscopy stool examinations, are considered as the well-performance diagnostic strategies. As well, molecular methods, and immunological-based assays are recommended to be used as complementary tests.
To diagnose extra-intestinal infection, the use of the serological tests has been highlighted which are still considered as methods of choice. Serological methods in combination with imaging and existence of clinical manifestations should also be used. However, serodiagnosis still needs to be improve for the accurate differential diagnosis of active infection from past infections.
- Amobiasis, Entamoeba histolytica, Diagnosis, Methods
How to Cite
2. Jamali S, Khan S, Parvez M. Intestinal Amoebiasis and risk factors associated with its transmission among paediatric patients attending a tertiary health care facility in northern India. National J lab Med 2019; 8:M004-M007.
3. Akhtar T, Khan AG, Ahmed I, Nazli R, Haider J. Prevalence of amoebiasis in a model research community and its confirmation using stool antigen elisa for Entamoeba histolytica. Pak J Pharm Sci 2016; 29:1587-90.
4. Flores MS, Carrillo P, Tamez E, Rangel R, Rodríguez EG, Maldonado MG, et al. Diagnostic parameters of serological ELISA for invasive amoebiasis, using antigens preserved without enzymatic inhibitors. Exp parasitol 2016; 161:48-53.
5. Hooshyar H, Rostamkhani P, Rezaeian M. An Annotated checklist of the human and animal entamoeba (Amoebida: Endamoebidae) species-A review article. Iranian J Parasitol 2015; 10:146-156.
6. Shirley DA, Farr L, Watanabe K, Moonah S. A review of the global burden, new diagnostics, and current therapeutics for amebiasis. In Open forum infectious diseases, US: Oxford University Press; 2018 p ofy161.
7. Hooshyar H, Rezaiean M. Evaluation of laboratory diagnosis in amoebic dysentry. J Med council IR 2000; 18:198-203.
8. World Health Organization. Entamoeba taxonomy. Bull World Health Organ 1997; 75:291-292.
9. Nlinwe NO, Kumla TJ. Performance evaluation of direct wet mount technique with respect to formol ether concentration technique, at the bamenda regional hospital. Int J Med Lab Res 2020; 5:32-41.
10. Oguoma VM, Ekwunife CA. The need for a better method: comparison of direct smear and formol-ether concentration techniques in diagnosing intestinal parasites. Internet J Trop Med 2007; 3:1-6.
11. Hooshyar H, Rostamkhani P, Arbabi M, Delavari M. Giardia lamblia infection: review of current diagnostic strategies. Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench 2019; 12:3-12.
12. Smith HV, Mank TG. Diagnosis of human giardiasis. In: Lujan HD, Svard S, Eds. Giardia a model organism. New York: Springer-Verlag; 2011. Pp353-74.
13. Wajahat M, Sharif M, Farooq H. Comparison of routine and concentration techniques on microscopic examination of stool for parasitic ova and cysts. Int J Pathol 2016; 14:109-112.
14. Parija SC, Bhattacharya S, Padhan P, Shivaprakash MR. Evaluation of formalin-acetone sedimentation in the concentration of stool for intestinal parasites. J Trop Doc 2003; 33:163-164.
15. Hooshyar H, Rezaian M, Kazemi B. Distribution and differential diagnosis of Entamoeba histolytica from Entamoeba dispar by the PCR-RFLP method in Central Iran. Annals Saudi Med 2003; 23:363-6.
16. Das S, Rajkumari N, Gunalan A, Rajavelu D, Olickal JJ. A comparative analysis of microscopy, coproantigen serology, and nested multiplex PCR in the laboratory diagnosis of Entamoeba histolytica infection. J Lab Physicians. 2021 Jul 29. In press.
17. Fotedar R, Stark D, Beebe N, Marriott D, Ellis J, Harkness J. Laboratory diagnostic techniques for Entamoeba species. Clin Microbiol Rev 2007; 20: 511-32.
18. Carrero JC, Reyes-Lopez M, Serrano-Luna J, Shibayama M, Unzueta J, Leon-Sicairos N, et al. Intestinal amoebiasis: 160 years of its first detection and still remains as a health problem in developing countries. Int J Med Microbiol 2020; 310:151358.
19. Haque R, Huston CD, Hughes M, Houpt E, Petri Jr WA. Amebiasis. New England J Med 2003; 348:1565-73.
20. Saidin S, Othman N, Noordin R. Update on laboratory diagnosis of amoebiasis. European J Clin Microbiol Inf Dis 2019; 38:15-38.
21. Robinson GL. The laboratory diagnosis of human parasitic amoebae. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 1968; 62: 285-294.
22. Diamond LS. A new liquid medium for xenic cultivation of Entamoeba histolytica and other lumen-dwelling protozoa. J Parasitol 1982; 68: 958-959.
23. Haghighi A, Rezaian M. The cultivation of Entamoeba histolytica in HSr+ s medium. J Kerman Uni Med Sci 1997; 5: 60-64.
24. Petri WA. Jr, Singh U. Diagnosis and management of amebiasis. Clin Inf Dis. 1999; 29:1117–1125.
25. Haghighi A, Rezaeian M. Detection of serum antibody to Entameba histolytica in various population samples of amebic infection using an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Parasitol Res 2005; 97:209-12.
26. Parija SC, Mandal J, Ponnambath DK. Laboratory methods of identification of Entamoeba histolytica and its differentiation from look-alike Entamoeba spp. Trop Parasitol 2014;4: 90-95.
27. Goncalves ML, da Silva VL, de Andrade CM, Reinhard K, da Rocha GC, Le Bailly M, et al. Amoebiasis distribution in the past: first steps using an immunoassay technique. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2004; 98:88-91.
28. del Muro R, Acosta E, Merino E, Glender W, Ortiz-Ortiz L. Diagnosis of intestinal amebiasis using salivary IgA antibody detection. J Inf Dis. 1990; 162:1360-4.
29. Punthuprapasa P, Thammapalerd N, Chularerk U, Charoenlarp K, Bhaibulaya M. Diagnosis of intestinal amebiasis using salivary IgA antibody detection. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Pub health. 2001; 32:159-64.
30. Hung CC, Chen PJ, Hsieh SM, Wong JM, Fang CT, Chang SC, et al. Invasive amoebiasis: an emerging parasitic disease in patients infected with HIV in an area endemic for amoebic infection. Aids 1999; 13:2421-8.
31. van Doorn HR, Hofwegen H, Koelewijn R, Gilis H, Peek R, Wetsteyn JC, et al. Use of rapid dipstick and latex agglutination tests and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for serodiagnosis of amebic liver abscess, amebic colitis, and Entamoeba histolytica cyst passage. J clin microbiol 2005; 43:4801-6.
32. Patterson M, Healy GR, Shabot JM. Serologic testing for amoebiasis. Gastroenterology. 1980; 78:136-41.
33. Leo M, Haque R, Kabir M, Roy S, Lahlou RM, Mondal D, et al. Evaluation of Entamoeba histolytica antigen and antibody point-of-care tests for the rapid diagnosis of amebiasis. J Clin Microbiol. 2006; 44:4569-71.
34. Shamsuzzaman SM, Haque R, Ruhul Hasin SK, Hashiguchi Y. Evaluation of indirect fluorescent antibody test and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for diagnosis of hepatic amebiasis in Bangladesh. J Parasitol 2000; 86:611-5.
35. Rezaeian M, Hamzavi Y. Evaluation of IFA, IHA and BLA tests in the serological diagnosis of amebic liver abscess. Med J Islamic Rep Iran. 1993; 7:161-4.
36. Haque R, Kress K, Wood S, Jackson TF, Lyerly D, Wilkins T, et al. Diagnosis of pathogenic Entamoeba histolytica infection using a stool ELISA based on monoclonal antibodies to the galactose-specific adhesin. J Infect Dis 1993; 167:247–249.
37. Gonin P, Trudel L. Detection and differentiation of Entamoeba histolytica and Entamoeba dispar isolates in clinical samples by PCR and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. J Clin Microbiol. 2003; 41, 237–241.
38. Haque R, Ali IK, Akther S, Petri Jr WA. Comparison of PCR, isoenzyme analysis, and antigen detection for diagnosis of Entamoeba histolytica infection. J Clin Microbiol 1998; 36:449-52.
39. Gatti S, Swierczynski G, Robinson F, Anselmi M, Corrales J, Moreira J, et al. Amebic infections due to the Entamoeba histolytica- Entamoeba dispar complex: a study of the incidence in a remote rural area of Ecuador. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2002; 67:123–127.
40. Visser LG, Verweij JJ, Van Esbroeck M, Edeling WM, Clerinx J,
Polderman AM. Diagnostic methods for differentiation of Entamoeba histolytica and Entamoeba dispar in carriers: performance and clinical implications in a non-endemic setting. Int J Med Microbiol 2006; 296:397–403.
41. Mohanty S, Sharma N, Deb M. Microscopy versus enzyme linked immunosorbent assay test for detection of Entamoeba histolytica infection in stool samples. Trop Parasitol 2014; 4:136.
42. Mirelman D, Nuchamowitz Y, Stolarsky T. Comparison of use of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay-based kits and PCR amplification of rRNA genes for simultaneous detection of Entamoeba histolytica and E. dispar. J Clin. Microbiol 1997; 35: 2405–2407.
43. Abd-Alla MD, Jackson TF, Reddy S, Ravdin JI. Diagnosis of invasive amoebiasis by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay of saliva to detect amoebic lectin antigen and antilectin immunoglobulin G antibodies. J Clin Microbiol 2000; 38: 2344–2347.
44. Garcia LS, Shimizu RY, Bernard CN. Detection of Giardia lamblia, Entamoeba histolytica/Entamoeba dispar, and Cryptosporidium parvum antigens in human fecal specimens using the Triage parasite panel enzyme immunoassay. J Clin Microbiol 2000; 38:3337–3340.
45. Formenti F, Perandin F, Bonafini S, Degani M, Bisoffi Z. Evaluation of the new ImmunoCard STAT!® CGE test for the diagnosis of Amebiasis. Bulletin de la Societe de pathologie exotique 2015; 108:171-4.
46. Van den Bossche D, Cnops L, Verschueren J, Van Esbroeck M. Comparison of four rapid diagnostic tests, ELISA, microscopy and PCR for the detection of Giardia lamblia, Cryptosporidium spp. and Entamoeba histolytica in feces. J Microbiol Methods 2015; 110:78–84.
47. Goñi P, Martín B, Villacampa M, Garcia A, Seral C, Castillo FJ, et al. Evaluation of an immunochromatographic dip strip test for simultaneous detection of Cryptosporidium spp, Giardia duodenalis, and Entamoeba histolytica antigens in human faecal samples. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2012; 31:2077–2082.
48. Ibrahim SS, El-Matarawy OM, Ghieth MA, Sarea EYA, El-Badry AA. Copro prevalence and estimated risk of Entamoeba histolytica in diarrheic patients at Beni-Suef, Egypt. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 2015; 31:385–390.
49. Verkerke HP, Hanbury B, Siddique A, Samie A, Haque R, Herbein J, et al. Multisite clinical evaluation of a rapid test for Entamoeba histolytica in stool. J Clin Microbiol 2015; 53:493-7.
50. Korpe PS, Stott BR, Nazib F, Kabir M, Haque R, Herbein JF, et al. Evaluation of a rapid point-of-care fecal antigen detection test for Entamoeba histolytica. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2012; 86: 980–981.
51. Yanagawa Y, Shimogawara R, Endo T, Fukushima R, Gatanaga H, Hayasaka K, et al. Utility of the rapid antigen detection test E. Histolytica quik chek for the diagnosis of Entamoeba histolytica infection in nonendemic situations. J Clin Microbiol 2020; 58:e01991-20.
52. Zaman S, Khoo J, Ng SW, Ahmed R, Khan MA, Hussain R, et al. Direct amplification of Entamoeba histolytica DNA from amoebic liver abscess pus using polymerase chain reaction. J Parasitol Res 2000; 86:724–728.
53. Zindrou S, Orozco E, Linder E, Téllez A, Björkman A. Specific detection of Entamoeba histolytica DNA by hemolysin gene targeted PCR. Acta Trop 2001; 78:117–125.
54. Freitas MAR, Vianna EN, Martins AS, Silva EF, Pesquero JL, Gomes MA. A single step duplex PCR to distinguish Entamoeba histolytica from Entamoeba dispar. Parasitology 2004; 128:625–628.
55. Khairnar K, Parija SC, Palaniappan R. Diagnosis of intestinal amoebiasis by using nested polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism assay. J Gastroenterol 2007; 42:631–640.
56. Shnawa BH. Molecular Diagnosis of Entamoeba histolytica, Entamoeba dispar, and Entamoeba moshkovskii: An update review. Annual Res Rev Biol 2017; 21:1-12.
57. Moran P, Ramos F, Ramiro M, Curiel O, Gonzalez E, Valadez A, et al. Entamoeba histolytica and/or Entamoeba dispar: infection frequency in HIV+/AIDS patients in Mexico City. Exp Parasitol 2005;110: 331-334.
58. Qvarnstrom Y, James C, Xayavong M, Holloway BP, Visvesvara GS, Sriram R, et al. Comparison of real-time PCR protocols for differential laboratory diagnosis of amebiasis. J Clin Microbiol 2005;43:5491–97.
59. Haque R, Kabir M, Noor Z, Rahman SM, Mondal D, Alam F, et al. Diagnosis of amebic liver abscess and amebic colitis by detection of Entamoeba histolytica DNA in blood, urine, and saliva by a real-time PCR assay. J Clin Microbiol 2010; 48: 2798-801.
60. Ali IK, Roy S. A real-time PCR assay for simultaneous detection and differentiation of four common Entamoeba species that infect humans. J Clin Microbiol. 2020; 59: e01986-20.
61. Piralla A, Lunghi G, Ardissino G, Girello A, Premoli M, Bava E, et al. FilmArray™ GI panel performance for diagnosis of acute gastroenteritis or hemorragic diarrhea. BMC Microbiol 2017;17:1-10.
62. Khare R, Espy MJ, Cebelinski E, Boxrud D, Sloan LM, Cunningham SA, et al. Comparative evaluation of two commercial multiplex panels for detection of gastrointestinal pathogens by use of clinical stool specimens. J Clin Microbiol 2014; 52:3667-73.
63. Buss SN, Leber A, Chapin K, Fey PD, Bankowski MJ, Jones MK, et al. Multicenter evaluation of the BioFire FilmArray gastrointestinal panel for etiologic diagnosis of infectious gastroenteritis. J Clin Microbiol. 2015 ;53: 915-25.
64. Huang RS, Johnson CL, Pritchard L, Hepler R, Ton TT, Dunn JJ. Performance of the Verigene® enteric pathogens test, Biofire FilmArray™ gastrointestinal panel and Luminex xTAG® gastrointestinal pathogen panel for detection of common enteric pathogens. Diag Microbiol Inf Dis 2016; 86: 336-9.
65. Morio F, Valot S, Laude A, Desoubeaux G, Argy N, Nourrisson C, et al. Evaluation of a new multiplex PCR assay (ParaGENIE GAmoeba real-time PCR kit) targeting Giardia intestinalis, Entamoeba histolytica and Entamoeba dispar/Entamoeba moshkovskii from stool specimens: evidence for the limited performances of microscopy-based approach for amoeba species identification. Clin Microbiol Infect 2018; 24:1205-9.
66. Katzenstein D, Rickerson V, Braude A. New concepts of amebic liver abscess derived from hepatic imaging, serodiagnosis, and hepatic enzymes in 67 consecutive cases in San Diego. Medicine 1982; 61:237–246.
67. Ravdin J I. Amoebiasis . Imperial college press, London, 2000. Pp 113-127.
68. Sifri CD, Madoff LC. Infectious disease of the liver and biliary system. In: Mandell GL, Benett JE, Dolin R (eds) Principles and practice of infectious disease. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2010 pp 1035–1044.
69. Blessmann J, Van Linh P, Nu PA, Thi HD, Muller-Myhsok B, Buss H, et al. Epidemiology of amebiasis in a region of high incidence of amebic liver abscess in central Vietnam. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2002; 66: 578-583.
70. Tan ZN, Wong WK, Noordin R, Zeehaida M, Olivos GA, Lim BH. Efficacies of two in-house indirect ELISAs for the diagnosis of amoebic liver abscess. Trop Biomed 2013; 30:250–256.
71. Ning TZ, Kin WW, Noordin R, Cun ST, Chong FP, Mohamed Z, et al. Evaluation of Entamoeba histolytica recombinant phosphoglucomutase protein for serodiagnosis of amoebic liver abscess. BMC Infect Dis 2013; 13:144.
72. Wong WK, Foo PC, Olivos-García A, Noordin R, Mohamed Z, Othman N, et al. Parallel ELISAs using crude soluble antigen and excretory-secretory antigen for improved serodiagnosis of amoebic liver abscess. Acta Trop 2017; 172:208–212.
73. Beyls N, Cognet O, Stahl JP, Rogeaux O, Pelloux H. Serodiagnosis of extraintestinal amebiasis: retrospective evaluation of the diagnostic performance of the Bordier® ELISA kit. Korean J Parasitol 2018; 56:71-74.
74. Sehgal R, Devi R, Singh K, Ganguly NK, Mahajan RC. Secretory IgA as a marker of invasive amoebiasis. Rev Infect 2010; 1:235-8.
75. Hira PR, Iqbal J, Al-Ali F, Philip R, Grover S, D’Almeida E, et al. Invasive amebiasis: challenges in diagnosis in a non-endemic country (Kuwait). Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2001; 65:341–45.
76. Dhanalakshmi S, Meenachi C, Parija SC. Indirect haemagglutination test in comparison with ELISA for detection of antibodies against invasive amoebiasis. J Clin Diagn Res 2016; 10: DC05-DC8.
77. Mohamed Z, Bachok NA, Hasan H. Analysis of indirect haemagglutination assay results among patients with amoebic liver abscess. Int Med J 2009;16:195–99.
78. Garcia LS, Bruckner DA, Brewer TC, Shimizu RY. Comparison of indirect fluorescent-antibody amoebic serology with counterimmunoelectrophoresis and indirect hemagglutination amoebic serologies. J Clin. Microbiol 1982; 5: 603–605.
79. Motazedian H, Rezaian M. Studies on extraintestinal amebiasis in Iran by serologic methods. Iranian J Public Health 2000; 29:55-60.
80. Saidin S, Yunus MH, Zakaria ND, Razak KA, Huat LB, Othman N, et al. Production of recombinant Entamoeba histolytica pyruvate phosphate dikinase and its application in a lateral flow dipstick test for amoebic liver abscess. BMC Infect Dis 2014; 14:182.
81. Haque R, Mollah NU, Ali IKM, Alam K, Eubanks A, Lyerly D, et al. Diagnosis of amebic liver abscess and intestinal infection with the TechLab Entamoeba histolytica II antigen detection and antibody tests. J Clin Microbiol 2000; 38:3235–3239.
82. Zeehaida M, WA WN, Amry AR, Hassan S, Sarimah A, Rahmah N. A study on the usefulness of Techlab Entamoeba histolytica II antigen detection ELISA in the diagnosis of amoebic liver abscess (ALA) at Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia (HUSM), Kelantan, Malaysia. Trop Biomed 2008; 25:209-16.
83. Jaiswal V, Ghoshal U, Baijal SS, Mittal B, Dhole TN, Ghoshal UC. Evaluation of antigen detection and polymerase chain reaction for diagnosis of amoebic liver abscess in patients on anti-amoebic treatment. BMC Res Notes 2012; 5:1-5.
84. Dinoop KP, Parija SC, Mandal J, Swaminathan RP, Narayanan P. Comparison of nested-multiplex, Taqman & SYBR Green real-time PCR in diagnosis of amoebic liver abscess in a tertiary health care institute in India. Indian J Med Res 2016; 143: 49-56.
85. Vallois D, Epelboin L, Touafek F, Magne D, Thellier M, Bricaire F, et al. Amebic liver abscess diagnosed by polymerase chain reaction in 14 returning travelers. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2012; 87: 1041- 45.
86. Ahmad N, Khan M, Hoque MI, Haque R, Mondol D. Detection of Entamoeba histolytica DNA from liver abscess aspirate using polymerase chain reaction (PCR): a diagnostic tool for amoebic liver abscess. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull. 2007; 33:13–20.
87. Ghelfenstein-Ferreira T, Gits-Muselli M, Dellière S, Denis B, Guigue N, Hamane S, et al. Entamoeba histolytica DNA detection in serum from patients with suspected amoebic liver abscess. J Clin Microbiol 2020; 58: e01153-20.
88. Parija SC, Khairnar K. Detection of excretory Entamoeba histolytica DNA in the urine, and detection of E. histolytica DNA and lectin antigen in the liver abscess pus for the diagnosis of amoebic liver abscess. BMC Microbiol 2007; 7: 41.
89. Singh P, Mirdha BR, Ahuja V, Singh S. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) assay for rapid detection of Entamoeba histolytica in amoebic liver abscess. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 2013; 29: 27-32.
90. Cummins AJ, Moody AH, Lalloo K, Chiodini PL. Rapid latex agglutination test for extraluminal amoebiasis. J Clin Pathol 1994; 47:647-8.
91. Tupasi TE, Healy GR. Adaptation of the Bozicevich Trichinella bentonite flocculation test for the diagnosis of amebiasis. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1970; 19:43-8.
92- Tosswill JH, Ridley DS, Warhurst DC. Counter immunoelectrophoresis as a rapid screening test for amoebic liver abscess. J Clin Pathol 1980; 33:33-35.
93. Thammapalerd N, Tharavanij S, Samrejrongroj P. Cellulose acetate membrane precipitin (CAP)test in amoebiasis using antigens from four different strains of Entamoeba histolytica. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Pub Health. 1981; 12:353-6.
94. Morris, MN, Powell, SJ & Elsdon-Dew R. Invasive amoebiasis: circulating antibody levels by latex agglutination test. South African Med J 1971; 4542:1206-8.
95. Uslu H, Aktas O, Uyanik MH. Comparison of various methods in the diagnosis of Entamoeba histolytica in stool and serum specimens. Eurasian J Med 2016; 48:124-29.
96. Cook GC. Entamoeba histolytica and Giardia lamblia infections: current diagnostic strategies. Parasite. 1995; 2:107-12.
97. Alvarado-Esquivel C, Hernandez-Tinoco J, Sanchez-Anguiano LF. Seroepidemiology of Entamoeba histolytica infection in general population in rural Durango, Mexico. J Clin Med Res 2015; 7:435-39.
98. Harries J. Amoebiasis: a review. J Roy Soc Med 1982; 75:190-97.
99. Yap EH, Zaman V, Aw SE. The use of cyst antigen in the serodiagnosis of amoebiasis. Bull World Health Org 1970; 424:553-61.
100. Agarwal SC, Mahajan RC, Datta DV, Chhuttani PN. Fluorescent antibody test in serodiagnosis of amoebiasis. Indian J Med Res 1971; 59:1214-9.
101. Mahajan RC, Ganguly NK, Chitkara NL. Counterimmunoelectrophoresis for rapid serodiagnosis of amoebic liver abscess. Indian J Med Res. 1975; 63:54-7.
102. Kandhari RA, Baveja UK, Bhatia RA, Agarwal DS, Gupta PS. Cellulose acetate precipitation test in sero-diagnosis of amoebiasis. J Comun Dis 1984; 16:74-6.
103. Haque R, Neville LM, Hahn P, PetriWA. Rapid diagnosis of Entamoeba infection by using Entamoeba and Entamoeba histolytica stool antigen detection kits. J Clin Microbiol 1995; 33:2558–61.
104. Roy S, Kabir M, Mondal D, Ali IKM, PetriWA, Haque R. Real-time-PCR assay for diagnosis of Entamoeba histolytica infection. J Clin Microbiol 2005;
105. Visser LG, Verweij JJ, Van Esbroeck M, Edeling WM, Clerinx J, Polderman AM. Diagnostic methods for differentiation of Entamoeba histolytica and Entamoeba dispar in carriers: performance and clinical implications in a non-endemic setting. Int J Med Microbiol 2006; 296:397–403.
106. Stark D, Van Hal S, Fotedar R, Butcher A, Marriott D, Ellis J, et al. Comparison of stool antigen detection kits to PCR for diagnosis of amebiasis. J Clin Microbiol 2008; 46:1678-81.
107. Pillai DR, Keystone JS, Sheppard DC, MacLean JD, MacPherson DW, Kain KC. Entamoeba histolytica and Entamoeba dispar: epidemiology and comparison of diagnostic methods in a setting of nonendemicity. Clin Infect Dis 1999; 29:1315-8.
108. Ong SJ, Cheng MY, Liu KH, Horng CB. Use of the ProSpecT® microplate enzyme immunoassay for the detection of pathogenic and non-pathogenic Entamoeba histolytica in faecal specimens. Trans Royal Soc Trop Med Hyg 1996; 90:248-9.
109. Sharp SE, Suarez CA, Duran Y, Poppiti RJ. Evaluation of the Triage Micro Parasite Panel for detection of Giardia lamblia, Entamoeba histolytica/Entamoeba dispar, and Cryptosporidium parvum in patient stool specimens. J Clin Microbiol 2001; 39:332-4.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times