A diagnostic challenge presented in a 37-year-old man with severe weight loss and multiple liver masses
Gastroenterology and Hepatology from Bed to Bench,
9 December 2020
Fascioliasis is still of a great concern in Iranian population. There is a diagnostic challenge in the management of fascioliasis since the Fasciola eggs are not found in stool specimens until several months after ingestion of metacercariae. Awareness of this fact would prevent a diagnostic delay by using alternative methods of diagnosis in these patients. Serologic tracing of antibodies against antigenic products of microorganism is available and has been advised per the pervious guidelines. CT scan and MRCP are also diagnostic. Liver biopsy is not mandatory in the diagnosis of fascioliasis but it would be helpful when other modalities are not definitely diagnostic.
- Weight loss
- Liver mass
- Fasciola Hepatica
2. Mas-Coma MS, Esteban JG, Bargues MD. Epidemiology of human fascioliasis: a review and proposed new classification. Bull WHO 1999;77:340–346.
3. Hughes DL. Trematodes, excluding schistosomes with special emphasis on fasciola. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 1985;120:241–260.
4. Hadden JW, Pascarelli EF. Diagnosis and treatment of human fascioliasis. JAMA 1967;202:149–151.
5. Schiappacasse RH, Mohammadi D, Christie AJ. Successful treatment of severe infection with fasciola hepatica with praziquantel. J Infect Dis 1985;152:1339–1340.
6. Jones EA, Kay JM, Milligan HP, Owens D. Massive infection with Fasciola hepatica in man. Am J Med 1977;63:836–842.
7. Rivera-Marero CA, Santiago N, Hillyer GV. Evaluation of immunodiagnostic antigens in the excretory–secretory products of Fasciola hepatica. J Parasitol 1988;74:646–652.
8. Foster JR. A study of the initiation of biliary hyperplasia in rats infected with Fasciola hepatica. Parasitology 1981;83:253–258.
9. Han JK, Choi BI, Cho JM, Chung KB, Han MC, Kim CW. Radiological findings of human fascioliasis. Abdom Imaging 1993;18:261–264.
10. Price TA, Tuazon CU, Simon GL. Fascioliasis: case reports and review. Clin Infect Dis 1993;17:426–430.
11. Han JK, Han D, Choi BI, Han MC. MR findings in human fascioliasis. Trop Med Int Health 1996;1:367–372.
12. Acosta-Ferreira W, Vercelli-Retta J, Falconi LM. Fasciola hepatica human infection: histopathological study of sixteen cases. Virchows Arch Pathol Anat Hist 1979;383:319–327.
13. Machicado C, Machicado J. D, Maco V, Terashima A, Marcos L. A. Association of Fasciola hepatica Infection with Liver Fibrosis, Cirrhosis, and Cancer: A Systematic Review. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases 2016;10(9):e0004962.
14. Marcos LA, Terashima A, Yi P, Andrade R, Cubero FJ, Albanis E, et al. Mechanisms of liver fibrosis associated with experimental Fasciola hepatica infection: roles of Fas2 proteinase and hepatic stellate cell activation. J Parasitol. 2011;97(1):82–87.
15. Bertani S, Pineau P, Loli S, Moura J, Zimic M, Deharo E, et al. An atypical age-specific pattern of hepatocellular carcinoma in Peru: a threat for Andean populations. PLoS One. 2013;8(6):e67756.
16. Marchio A, Bertani S, Rojas Rojas T, Diomi F, Terris B, Deharo E, et al. A Peculiar Mutation Spectrum Emerging from Young Peruvian Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma. PLoS One. 2014;9(12):e114912.
17. Tsuda H, Satarug S, Bhudhisawasdi V, Kihana T, Sugimura T, Hirohashi S. Cholangiocarcinomas in Japanese and Thai patients: difference in etiology and incidence of point mutation of the c-Ki-ras proto-oncogene. Mol. Carcinogen. 1992;6:266–269.
18. Marcos LA, Terashima A, Gotuzzo E. Update on hepatobiliary flukes: fascioliasis, opisthorchiasis and clonorchiasis. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2008;21(5):523–230.
19. Kammel HH, Sarhan RM, Saad GA. Biochemical assessment of oxidative status versus liver enzymes in patients with chronic fascioliasis. J Parasit Dis. 2015;39:628–633.
20. Cabada MM, Lopez M, Cruz M, Delgado JR, Hill V, White Ac Jr Treatment failure after multiple courses of triclabendazole among patients with fascioliasis in Cusco, Peru: A case series. PLoS Negl Trop Dis.2016;10(1):e0004361.
- Abstract Viewed: 0 times