The Effectiveness of Nursing Interventions Based on King’s Theory: A Systematic Review
Advances in Nursing & Midwifery,
Vol. 29 No. 3 (2020),
15 July 2020
Introduction: King’s Conceptual Model and Goal Attainment Theory can applicate as an effective framework in all fields of nursing such practice, education, management and research. The purpose of this study was to evaluate effectiveness of nursing interventions based King's theory.
Methods: In this systematic review, the databases as Scopus, Web of Sciences, Pub Med and search engine of Google Scholar have been searched. Then the review has been done in terms of the study criteria, and merely 10 articles have met the criteria.
Results: Our findings indicate, the common form of theory that has been applied in articles was goal attainment theory, except in one case. In 40% of the articles, the theory was used in educational fields and 60% were related to the clinical area.
Conclusions: According to this systematic review, King's Conceptual System and Theory of Goal Attainment has the potential to give an effective approach for nursing practice and it is recommended that this framework can be used in different clinical situations to attract the patients to better compliance, leading to an improvement in quality of life and reduce complications in patients.
- ntervention Nursing Theory
- King Conceptual System
- Goal Attainment Theory
How to Cite
2. Fawcett J. Contemporary nursing knowledge : analysis and evaluation of nursing models and theories. 2nd ed ed. United States of America: F. A. Davis Company; 2005.
3. Alligood MR. Nursing Theory: Utilization and Application. 5ed ed. United States: Elsevier; 2014.
4. Alligood MR. Nursing theorists and their work. 8ed ed. United States of America: Elsevier; 2014.
5. Fronczek AE, Rouhana NA, Kitchin JM. Enhancing Telehealth Education in Nursing: Applying King’s Conceptual Framework and Theory of Goal Attainment. Nursing Science Quarterly. 2017;30(3):209-13.
6. Batson VD, Yoder LH. Managerial coaching: A concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2012;68(7):1658-69.
7. Weg J. The effects of mutual goal setting on patient satisfaction among adult patients at a rural community hospital: South Dakota State University; 2009.
8. da Silva RN, Ferreira MdA. Users’ participation in nursing care: an element of the Theory of Goal Attainment. Contemporary nurse. 2016;52(1):74-84.
9. Caceres BA. King’s Theory of Goal Attainment: Exploring Functional Status. Nursing Science Quarterly. 2015;28(2):151-5.
10. Alligood MR. Family healthcare with king's theory of goal attainment. Nursing Science Quarterly. 2010;23(2):99-104.
11. McQueen L, Cockroft M, Mullins N. Imogene King's theory of goal attainment and the millennial nurse: An important mentoring tool for nurse educators. Teaching and Learning in Nursing. 2017.
12. Bai X, Wang J-P, Ming L, Xu Y-J, Sun X. Clinical nursing path after endoscopic submucosal dissection reduces the risk of postoperative complications. Chinese Nursing Research. 2016;3(1):24-7.
13. Bhandari S, Jacob J. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of a Structured Teaching Programme on Knowledge and Attitude Regarding Nursing Profession among Pre University Course Students of Selected Colleges, in Bengaluru. International Journal of Health Sciences and Research (IJHSR). 2016;6(12):127-36.
14. Cho MK. Effect of health contract intervention on renal dialysis patients in Korea. Nursing and Health Sciences. 2013;15(1):86-93.
15. Domini D, Mannarathu M, Anas M, Davis R. Effectiveness of breathing exercises in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Indian Journal of Respiratory Care. 2015;4(1):561.
16. Joseph T, Naregal P. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Health Education on Knowledge with Reference to Prevention and Home Management of Diarrhea among Mothers of under Five Children in Selected Rural Area at Karad Taluka. Int J Sci Res (IJSR). 2014;3(7):1329-33.
17. Khowaja K. Utilization of King's interacting systems framework and theory of goal attainment with new multidisciplinary model: Clinical pathway. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing, The. 2006;24(2):44.
18. Kruse BG, Melhado LW, Convertine L, Stecher J. Evaluating strategies for changing acute care nurses' perceptions on end-of-life care. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. 2008;25(5):389-97.
19. Park M, Song R, Jeong J-O. Effect of goal attainment theory based education program on cardiovascular risks, behavioral modification, and quality of life among patients with first episode of acute myocardial infarction: Randomized study. International journal of nursing studies. 2017;71:8-16.
20. Thomas HR, Sumithra L, Bhupali P. Effectiveness of Planned Demonstration Programme on Knowledge and Skill Regarding Newborn Reflexes among Nursing Students. International Journal of Nursing Care. 2013;1(1):44.
21. Chacko JM, Kharde SN, Swamy M. Effectiveness of Infrared Lamp on Reducing Pain and Inflammation due to Episiotomy Wound. International Journal of Nursing Education. 2013;5(1):82.
22. Beiranvand S, Asadizaker M, Fayazi S. Efficacy of an Intervention Based on the Theory of Planned Behavior on Foot Care Performance in Type II Diabetic Patients Jundishapur J Chronic Dis Care. 2016;5(1):e30622.
23. Park M, Song R, Jeong JO. Effect of goal attainment theory based education program on cardiovascular risks, behavioral modification, and quality of life among patients with first episode of acute myocardial infarction: Randomized study. International journal of nursing studies. 2017;71:8-16.
- Abstract Viewed: 197 times
- pdf Downloaded: 436 times