Which dimensions of Health Literacy predict the adoption of smoking preventive Behaviors?
22 April 2018
Background: Health literacy (HL) is related with the adoption of preventive behaviors. Considering the increase smoking among students, this study aimed to determine the effective dimensions of HL in predicting the adoption of smoking preventive behaviors in students.
Materials and methods: In the present cross-sectional and descriptive study, 280 dormitory students of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences were selected through single-stage cluster sampling method.A questionnaire of HL measurement (HL for Iranian Adults) and also a valid and reliable researcher-made
questionnaire were exploited for measuring the adoption of smoking preventive behaviors. The collected data were analyzed using SPSS software (version 16) and descriptive statistics, Pearson correlation coefficient and multiple logistic regression analysis. All stages of the study were conducted ethically.
Results: The mean (± standard deviation) score for adoption of smoking preventive behaviors were 39.36±19.16 out of 100. Understanding and access to health information dimensions received the highest scores, while decision making and application of health information as well as reading obtained the lowest
scores. Multiple regression analysis reflected that the dimensions of understanding (β=0.216, P=0.017) and decision making and the application of health information (β=0.324, P=0.001) were predictors of adoption of smoking preventive behaviors. Overall, these variables could predict 23.1% of behavioral changes.
Conclusion: According to the results of the study, in designing educational interventions for the prevention of smoking, special attention should be paid to HL, especially the dimensions of reading, understanding and decision making as well as application of health information in the audience.
- Sabiston C, Lovato C, Ahmed R, Pullman A, Hadd V, Campbell H, et al. School smoking policy
characteristics and individual perceptions of the school tobacco context: Are they linked to students’
smoking status? Journal of Youth and Adolescence 2009; 38:1367-74.
- Tsai Y, Wen Y, Tsai C, Tsai T. Peer pressure, psychological distress and the urge to smoke. International
Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2009; 6(6):1799- 811.
- Sharifi-rad GR, Hazavei MM, Hasanzadeh A, Daneshamouz A. The effect of health education based
on health belief model on preventive actions of smoking in grade one, middle school students. Journal of
Arak University of Medical Sciences 2007; 10(1):1-8 (In Persian).
- Mokhtari Laleh N, Ghodsi H, Asiri SH, Kazemnejad Leili E. Relationship between health belief model
and smoking in male students of Guilan University of Medical Sciences. Journal of Guilan University of
Medical Sciences 2013; 22(85):33-41 (In Persian).
- Taremian F, Bolhari J, Pairavi H, Ghazi Tabatabaei M. The prevalence of drug abuse among university
students in Tehran. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry & Clinical Psychology 2008; 13(4):335-42 (In Persian).
- Ghodsi H, Mokhtari Lake N, Asiri SH, Kazemnezhad Leili E. Prevalence and correlates of cigarette
smoking among male students of Guilan University of Medical Sciences. Journal of Holistic Nursing and
Midwifery 2012; 22(1):38-43 (In Persian).
- Jafari F, Davati A, Hajzamani A, Rezaiepour N, Alizadeh K. Smoking behaviors among university
students: A cross-sectional study in Tehran, Iran. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal 2014; 2(3):e17604.
- Babaei Heidarabadi A, Ramezankhani A, Barekati H, Vejdani M, Shariatinejad K, Panahi R, et al.
Prevalence of substance abuse among dormitory students of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical
Sciences, Tehran, Iran. International Journal of High Risk Behavior Addiction 2015; 4(2);e22350.
- Berg CJ, Ling PM, Hayes RB, Berg E, Nollen N, Nehl E, et al. Smoking frequency among current
college student smokers: distinguishing characteristics and factors related to readiness to quit smoking.
Health Education Research 2012; 27(1):141-50.
- Klink K, Lin S, Elkin Z, Strigenz D, Liu S. Smoking Cessation Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practice
Among Community Health Providers in China. Family Medicine 2011; 43(3):198-200.
- La Torre G, Kirch W, Bes-Rastrollo M, Ramos R, Czaplicki M, Gualano MR, et al. Tobacco use among
medical students in Europe: results of a multicentre study using the Global Health Professions Student
Survey. Public Health 2012; 126(2):159-64.
- Yong-Bing L, Liu L, Yan-Fei L, Yan-Li C. Relationship between health literacy, health-related
behaviors and health status: a survey of elderly Chinese. International Journal of Environmental Research
and Public Health 2015: 12:9714-25.
- Dowdell EB, Santucci ME. Health risk behavior assessment: nutrition, weight, and tobacco use in one
urban seventh-grade class. Public Health Nursing 2004; 21(2):128-36.
- Shahnazi H, Sharifirad GH, Reisi M, Javadzadeh H, Radjati F, Charkazi A, et al. Factors associated
with cigarette smoking based on constructs of Health Belief Model in pre university students in 2011 in
Isfahan, Iran. Journal of Health System Research 2013; 9(4):378-84 (In Persian).
- Keleher H, Hagger V. Health literacy in primary health care. Australian Journal of Primary Health
- Manganello JA. Health literacy and adolescents: a framework and agenda for future research. Health
Education Research 2008; 23(5):840-47.
- Azimi S, Ramezankhani A, Rakhshani F, Ghaffari M, Ghanbari S. Comparison of health literacy
between medical and non-medical students in Shahid Beheshti Universities in the academic year 92-93.
Pejouhandeh 2015; 20(2):78-85 (In Persian).
- Arabzade S, Jalili Z, Tavakoli R. A Survey of health literacy level and its relationship with Preventive
behaviors of smoking in adolescents 15-18 years of prophylactic Bushehr Province [dissertation]. Science
and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University 2016 (In Persian).
- Stewart W.D, Vidrine IJ, Shete S, Spears AC, Cano AM, Correa-Fernández V, et al. Health literacy,
smoking, and health indicators in African American adults. Journal of Health Communication 2015; 20(2):
- Stewart DW, Cano MÁ, Correa-Fernández V, Spears CA, Li Y, Waters AJ, et al. Lower health literacy
predicts smoking relapse among racially/ethnically diverse smokers with low socioeconomic status. BMC
Public Health 2014; 14(1):716.
- Stewart DW, Adams CE, Correa-Fernández, Li y, Wetter DW, Vidrine JI. Association between health
literacy and established predictors of smoking cessation. American Journal of Public Health 2013;
- Martin LT, Haas A, Schonlau M, Derose KP, Rosenfeld L, Rudd R, et al. Which literacy skills are
associated with smoking? Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2012; 66 (10):189-92.
- Haerian Ardakani A, Morowati sharifabad MA, Rezapour Y, Pourghayumi Ardakani A. Investigation
of the relationship of oral health literacy and oral hygiene self-efficacy with self-reported oral and dental
health in students. The Journal of Toloo-e-behdasht 2014; 13(5):125-40 (In Persian).
- Montazeri A, Tavousi M, Rakhshani F, Azin SA, Jahangiri K, Ebadi M, et al. Health literacy for
Iranian adults (HELIA): development and psychometric properties. Payesh 2014; 13: 589-99 (In Persian).
- Hajizade E, Asghari M. Methods and statistical analyzes by looking at the research method in the
biological sciences and health sciences. Tehran: Iranian Students Booking Agency 2011 (In Persian).
- Gharlipour Z, Hazavehei SMM, Moeini B, Nazari M, Moghimbeygi A. Effectiveness of educational
program on promotion of smoking preventive behaviors in adolescences. Journal of Health System
Research 2013; 9(4):354-61 (In Persian).
- Rahnavard Z, Mohammadi M, Rajabi F, Zolfaghari M. An educational intervention using health belief
model on smoking preventive behavior among female teenagers. Hayat 2011; 17(3):15-26 (In Persian).
- Boroujeni DM, Baghianiloghadam MH, Sharifirad GR, Fallahzade H. Evaluation of preventive
behaviors of addiction based on health belief model (HBM) among male high school students in Boroujen,
Iran. Journal of Health System Research 2011; 8(2):1-10 (In Persian).
- Ziapoor A, Kianpoor N. Predicting health literacy of students in Kermanshah University of Medical
Sciences in 2016: The role of demographic variables. Journal of Health Literacy 2016; 1(3):182-90 (In
- Mahmoudi H, Taheri A. Relation between information literacy and health literacy of students in
Ferdowsi University of Mashhad. Human Information Interaction 2015; 2(2): 31-41 (In Persian).
- Zhang Q, Cui G. Investigation and analysis of Xi’an college students’ health literacy. HHBE 2011.
International Conference on Human Health and Biomedical Engineering 2011; China.
- Vozikis A, Drivas K, Milioris K. Health literacy among university students in Greece: determinants
and association with self-perceived health, health behaviours and health risks. Archives of Public Health
- Tavousi M, Ebadi M, Azin A, Shakerinejad GH, Hashemi A, Fattahi E, et al. Definitions of health
literacy: a review of the literature. Payesh 2014; 13:119-24 (In Persian).
- Mahdavi ZH, Ramezankhani A, Ghanbari SH, Khodakarim L. Relationship between health literacy
and female cancers preventive behaviors. Payesh 2017; 5:613-25 (In Persian).
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 100 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 49 بار