Comparing the efficiency of Denture brush and Ordinary brush in complete Denture cleaning
Please cite this article as: Fayaz A, Shakerian M, Ansari GH. Comparing the Efficiency of Denture brush and Ordinary brush in complete Denture cleaning. Novel Biomed 2013;1(2):62-65.
Background & objective: Denture cleansing is a key element in retaining mucosa free of any inflammation. However, many denture users usually ignore this important factor. This investigation was designed to compare the efficacy of a denture brush and an ordinary brush in cleansing process of complete dentures.
Materials & Methods: A group of 31 individuals aged 44-76 years were included in this study. Each patient was then instructed to use the denture brush for a period of 4 weeks while an ordinary brush was to be used for the following 4 weeks. Dentures were photographed and evaluated at every two week intervals using a computer photographic software assessment method. Pictures were compared using the image tool for plaque remaining on the denture surfaces. Student t-test was used to analyse data collected.
Results: Comparison of the brush type efficacy at 2 and 4 weeks did not show any significant difference ( P>0.05 ), however , clinical evaluation indicated that denture brush leaves much less plaque bio-film compare to the ordinary one, with mean plaque traced at 6.88 to 9.24 in 4 weeks.
Conclusion: There were no significant differences found between the two brushes’ efficacy, with clinical evaluation significantly in favor of denture brush.
- Fernandes RA, Silva-Lovato CH, Paranhos Hde F, Ito IY. Efficacy of three denture brush on biofilm removal from complete dentures. J Appl Oral Sci. 2007;15:39-43.
- da Silva CH, Paranhos Hde F. Efficacy of biofilm disclosing agent and of three brushes in the control of complete denture cleaning. J APP Oral Sci. 2006:14:454-9.
- Salles AE, Macedo LD, Fernandes RA, Silva-Lovato CH, Paranhos Hde F. Comparative analysis of biofilm levels in complete upper and lower denture after brushing associated with specific denture paste and neural soap. Gerodontology 2007;24:217-23.
- Andrucioli MC , Macedo LD , Panzeri H , Lara EH , Paranhos Hde F. Comparison of two cleansing pasts for the removal of biofilm from denture and palatal lesions in patients with atrophic chronic candidiasis. Braz Dent J. 2004;15:220-4.
- Shay K. Denture hygiene: a review and update. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2000;1:28-41.
- Paranhos Hde F, da Silva CH. Comparative study of methods for the quantification of biofilm on complete dentures. Braz Oral Res. 2004;18:215-23.
- Paranhos HF, Silva-Lovato CH, Souza RF, Cruz PC , Freitas KM , Peracini A. Effects of mechanical and chemical methods on
denture biofilm accumulation. J Oral Rehabil. 2007;34:606-12. 8- Tarbet WJ, Axelrod S, Mikoff S, Fratarcangelo PA. Denture cleansing: a comparison of two methods. J prosthet Dent. 1984;51:322-25.
- Baran I, Nalcaci R. Self-reported denture hygiene habits and oral tissue conditions of complete denture wearers. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2009,49:237-41.
- Jorgensen EB. Materials and methods for cleaning denture. J prosthet Dent. 1979;42:619-23.
- Wilkins E. Clinical Practice of the dental hygienists, 8th ed. Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Williams 1999;11:376-91.
- Zarb GA, Bolender CA. Prosthodontic treatment for edentulous patients complete denture and implant-supported prosthesis 12th ed. 2004; Chap 4:34-40.
- Paranhos Hde F, da Silva-CH, Venezian GC, Macedo LD, de Souza RF. Distribution of biofilm on internal and external surface of upper complete dentures: The effect of hygiene instruction. Gerodontology. 2007;24:162-8.
- Sheen SR, Harrison A. Assessment of plaque prevention on dentures using an experimental cleanser. J Prosthet Dent.
- Silva-CH, Paranhos Hde F, Ito IY. [Biofilm disclosing agents in complete denture: clinical and antimicrobial evaluation]. Pesqui odontol Braz. 2002;116: 270-5. Portuguese