Physico-chemical properties, fatty acid profile and nutrition in palm oil

Mohammadreza Koushki, Masoomeh Nahidi, Fatemeh Cheraghali

Abstract


654

The rapid expansion in world production of palm oil over the last three decades has attracted the attention of the oils and fats industry. Oil palm gives the highest yield of oil per unit of any crop. Palm oil is the major oil produced, with annual world production in excess of 50 million tonnes. Throughout the world, 90% of palm oil is used for edible purposes (e.g., margarine, deep fat frying, shortening, ice creams, and cocoa butter substitutes in chocolate); the remaining 10% is used for soap and oleo chemical manufacturing (fatty acids, methyl esters, fatty nitrogenous derivatives, surfactants and detergents). Two distinct oils are produced by oil palms (palm kernel oil and palm oil), both of which are important in world trade. Palm oil contains 50% saturated fatty acids. The saturated fatty acid to unsaturated fatty acid ratio of palm oil is close to unity and it contains a high amount of the antioxidants, β-carotene, and vitamin E. Palm oil contains a high proportion of palmitic acid as well as considerable quantities of oleic and linoleic acids. The physicochemical properties, fatty acid profile and nutrition in palm oils are reviewed.


Keywords


Palm oil; Palm Kernel oil; Physicochemical properties; Fatty acid profile; Nutrition.

Full Text:

PDF

18907



DOI: https://doi.org/10.22037/jps.v6i3.9772

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


"Journal of Paramdedical Sciences", is a publication of "School of Paramedical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences" and "Iranian Society of Medical Proteomics".

"Journal of Paramdedical Sciences" is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

 

EISSN: 2008-4978

PISSN: 2008-496X