Use of preputial island flap for penile skin reconstruction in hypospadias
Iranian Journal of Pediatric Surgery,
Vol. 1 No. 1 (2015),
1 September 2015
Introduction: Providing the material for penile reconstruction after release of chordee associated with hypospadias is challenging. We have used the preputial vascularized island flap for this purpose. We report the results of this prospective study.
Materials and Methods: One hundred and twelve boys ranging from 13 months to 12 years of age were enrolled in this study. The location of meatus ranged from midshaft to glanular and all of them had associated penile curvature from 10 to 40 degrees. The preputial skin vascularized flap was created and used for covering the defect in all cases. The underlying dartus tissue of the flap also lied on the uretheral suture line to prevent the formation of fistula. The follow up period ranged from 2 months to 72 months. All patients received caudal anesthesia for postoperative pain management.
Results: All patients had skin defects on the ventral surface of their penile shaft after correction of penile curvature. The ischemia and necrosis of the flap developed in 5 cases however these were in initial phases of the study. In 20 cases the appearance of the flap seemed liked a hyperthrophied loose patch on the ventral aspect of penis. These cases went on to have a good appearance over time. Only in two of these cases a second operation to refashion the flap was needed.
Conclusion: Thepreputial island flap is a safe method for covering the new urethra and penile skin defects, with good cosmetic results.
- preputial island flap
- penile curvature
- Byars LT: A technique for consistently satisfactory repair of hypospadias. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1955; 100:184-90.
- Rushton HG: Hypospadias. J Urol 1994; 152:1241-2.
- Scuderi N, Campus GV: A new technique for hypospadias one-stage repair.Chir Palst1983; 7:103-6.
- Santanelli F, Blomqvist G, Paolini G, et al: Correction of hypospadias with a vertical preputial island flap: The Goteborg experience of 47 patients. Scand J Plast Reconstr Hand Surg 2001; 35:301-4.
- Scuderi N, Chiummariello S, De Gado F: Correction of hypospadias with a vertical prepucial island flap: A 23 years experience. J Urol 2005; 175:1083-7.
- Baskin LS, Duckett JW, Ueoka K, et al: Changing concept of hypospadias curvature lead to more onlay island flap procedures. J Urol 1994; 151:191-6.
- Nesbit RM: Plastic procedure for correction of hypospadias. J Urol 1941; 45: 699-702.
- Duckett JW: The Island Flap technique for hypospadias repair. Urol Clin North Am 1981; 8:513-9.
- Welch KJ: Hypospadias.Paediatric Surgery, 3rd edn. Chicago: Year Book Medical Publishers; 1979. pp. 1353-76.
- Snodgrass W, Patterson K, Plaire JC, et al: Histology of the urethral plate: implications for hypospadias repair. J Urol 2000; 164: 988-99.
- Asopa HS, Elhence EP, Atria SP, et al: One stage correction of penile hypospadias using a foreskin tube a preliminary report. Int Surg 1971; 55:435.
- Snodgrass W, Koyle M, Gianantonio M, et al: Tubularized incised plate hypospadias repair for proximal hypospadias. J Urol 1998; 159: 2129-31.
- Asopa R, Asopa HS: One-stage correction of penile hypospadiasusing a foreskin tube. Indian J Urol 1984; 1:41-3.
- Firlit CF: The mucosal collar in hypospadias surgery. J Urol1987; 137:80.
- Abstract Viewed: 146 times
- PDF Downloaded: 117 times