Small bowel perforation secondary to accidental magnetic objects ingestion: (Two pediatric cases report)

Amine Ksia, Meriem Braiki, Nahla Kechiche, Lassaad Sahnoun, Sabrine Ben Youssef, Mongi Mekki, Abdellatif Nouri



Foreign bodies ingestion is considered as a common pediatric problem, it is mostly encountred in infants between 6months and 2 years. Ingestion of magnets was documented in only few reports. We report two uncommon cases of bowel perforations owing to magnets ingestion. Patients were respectively aged of 10 months and 20 months .they were successfully managed. Once ingested, magnetic objects would attach each other through intestinal wall leading subsequently to intestinal necrosis. Thus their surgical removal is unavoidable.



Emergency;ingestion;Intestinal perforation;magnet

Full Text:




Delport CD, Hodkinson PW, Cheema B: Investigation and management of foreign body ingestion in children at a major paediatric trauma unit in South Africa. African Journal of Emergency Medicine 2015;5(4):176-80.

Cadena-León JF, Cázares-Méndez M, Arguello-Bermeo C, et al: Accidental ingestion of magnets in pediatrics: Emerging health problem. Revista de Gastroenterología de México 2015;80:113-5.

Webster PJ, Peckham-Cooper A, Lansdown M: Small bowel perforation secondary to accidental dental plate ingestion. International Journal of Surgery Case Reports 2011;2(7):218-20.

Chung JH, Kim JS, Song YT: Small bowel complication caused by magnetic foreign body ingestion of children: two case reports. J Pediatr Surg 2003;38(10);1548-50.

Lee JH, Kim HC, Yang DM, et al: What is the role of plain radiography in patients with foreign bodies in the gastrointestinal tract?. Clinical Imaging 2012;36(5);447–54.



  • There are currently no refbacks.

pISSN: 2423-5067

eISSN: 2423-7612

Creative Commons License
This journal and its contents are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.