Iron Deficiency and Iron Deficiency Anemia in Children With First Attack of Seizure and on Healthy Control Group: A Comparative Study
Iranian Journal of Child Neurology,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2014),
1 July 2014
How to Cite This Article: Fallah R, Tirandazi F, Ferdosian F, Fadavi N. Iron Deficiency And Iron Deficiency Anemia in Children With First Attack of Seizure and on Healthy Control Group : A Comparative Study. Iran J Child Neurol. 2014 Summer;8(3): 18-23.
Seizures are the most common pediatric neurologic problem. Research of the association between iron deficiency and seizures has shown conflicting results.
This study evaluates iron status of children with a first seizure attack (febrile seizure (FS) or first unprovoked afebrile seizure (FUS) and healthy control group.
Materials & Methods
In a cross sectional case control study, iron status of 6–60 month year old admitted children with first seizure to Shahid Sadoughi Hospital from August 2011–December 2012 were evaluated and compared with healthy control children that were referred to primary health care center of Azadshar, Yazd, Iran.
150 children were compared in three equal (FS, afebrile seizure, and control) groups.
Hemoglobin levels in FUS (11.39 ± 1.07 g/dl) and FS (11.46 ± 1.18 g/dl) were lower than the control group (11.9 ± 0.89 g/dl) group.
Serum iron levels in FS (38.52 ± 11.38 μg/dL) and FUS (42.68 ± 14.76 μg/dL) were lower than the control group (54.32 ± 13.46 μg/dL).
Serum ferritin level in FUS (46.21 ± 27.63 ng/mL) and FS (48.91 ±22.96 ng/mL) was lower than the control group (75.13 ± 35.57 ng/mL).
Iron deficiency (48% in FS, 44% in FUS and 28% in control group) and iron deficiency anemia (26% in FUS, 22% in FS, and 10% in healthy children) was more frequent in children with seizures.
Iron status should be evaluated in children with a first attack of febrile or afebrile seizures.
- Mikati MA. Seizures in Childhood. Kliegman RM, Stanton BF, Schor NF, St. Geme JW, Behrman RE. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. Philadelphia, Saunders 2011; 19th edition, Pp: 2013-2017.
- Yadav D, Chandra J. Iron deficiency: beyond anemia. Indian J Pediatr 2011;78(1):65-72.
- Johnston MV. Iron deficiency, febrile seizures and brain development. Indian Pediatr 2012;49(1):13-4.
- Idro R, Gwer S, Williams TN, Otieno T, Uyoga S, Fegan G, Kager PA, Maitland K, Kirkham F, Neville BG, Newton CR. Iron deficiency and acute seizures: results from children living in rural Kenya and a meta-analysis. PLoS One 2010 16; 5(11):e14001.
- Carvalho AG, Lira PI, Barros Mde F, Aléssio ML, Lima Mde C, Carbonneau MA, Berger J, Léger CL. Diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia in children of Northeast Brazil. Rev Saude Publica. 2010; 44(3):513-9.
- Kumari PL, Nair MK, Nair SM, Kailas L, Geetha S. Iron deficiency as a risk factor for simple febrile seizures—a case control study. Indian Pediatr 2012; 49(1):17-9.
- Van Vranken M. Evaluation of microcytosis. Am Fam Physician 2010; 82(9):1117-22.
- Morales-Ruán Mdel C, Villalpando S, García-Guerra A, Shamah-Levy T, Robledo-Pérez R, Avila-Arcos MA, Rivera JA. Iron, zinc, copper and magnesium nutritional status in Mexican children aged 1 to 11 years. Salud Publica Mex 2012; 54(2):125-34.
- Modaresi M, Mahmoudian T, Yaghini O, Kelishadi R, Golestani H, Tavasoli A, et al. Is Iron Insufficiency Associated With Febrile Seizure? Experience in an Iranian Hospital. J Compr Ped 2012; 3(1):21-4.
- Zareifar S, Hosseinzadeh HR, Cohan N. Association between iron status and febrile seizures in children. Seizure 2012; 21(8):603-5.
- Akbayram S, Cemek M, Büyükben A, Aymelek F, Karaman S, Yilmaz F, Dogan M, Caksen H. Major and minor bio-element status in children with febrile seizure. Bratisl Lek Listy 2012; 113 (7):421-3.
- Vaswani RK, Dharaskar PG, Kulkarni S, Ghosh K. Iron deficiency as a risk factor for first febrile seizure. Indian 2010; 47(5):437-9.
- Sherjil A, us Saeed Z, Shehzad S, Amjad R. Iron deficiency anaemia--a risk factor for febrile seizures in children. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2010; 22(3):71-3.
- Naveed-ur-Rehman, Billoo AG. Association between iron deficiency anemia and febrile seizures. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2005; 15(6):338-40.
- Hartfield DS, Tan J, Yager JY, Rosychuk RJ, Spady D, Haines C, Craig WR. The association between iron deficiency and febrile seizures in childhood. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2009; 48 (4):420-6.
- Derakhshanfar H, Abaskhanian A, Alimohammadi H, Modanloo KM. Association between iron deficiency anemia and febrile seizure in children. Med Glas Ljek komore Zenicko-doboj kantona. 2012; 9(2):239-42.
- Bidabadi E, Mashouf M. Association between iron deficiency anemia and first febrile convulsion: A casecontrol study. Seizure 2009; 18(5):347-51.
- Abaskhanian A, Vahid Shahi K, Parvinnejad N. The association between iron deficiency and the first episode of febrile seizure. J Babol Univ Med Sci 2009, 11 (3);32-36.(in Persian)
- Kobrinsky NL, Yager JY, Cheang MS, Yatscoff RW, Tenenbein M. Does iron deficiency raise the seizure threshold? J Child Neurol 1995; 10(2):105-9.
- Talebian A, Momtazmanesh N, Moosavi SGH, Khojasteh MR. The relationship between anemia and febrile seizure in children under 5 years old. Iran J Pediatr 2006; 16(1): 79-82.
- Momen A, Hakimzadeh M. Case-control study of the relationship between anemia and febrile convulsion in children between 9 months to 5 years of age. Ahwaz Univ Med Sci 2003; 35: 50-4. [in Persian]
- Salehiomran MR, Tamaddoni A, Nasehi MM, Babazadeh H, Alizadeh navaei R. Iron status in febrile seizure: a case-control study. Iranian Journal of Child Neurology (IJCN) 2009; 3 (3):39-42.
- Amirsalari S, Keihani doust ZT, Ahmadi M, Sabouri A, Kavemanesh Z, Afsharpeyman S, Torkaman M, Ghazavi Y. Relationship between iron deficiency anemia and febrile seizures. Iranian Journal of Child Neurology (IJCN) 2010; 4(1):27.30.
- Iranmanesh F, Shafa M.A, Nikian Y.A, Ahmadi Kohanali J. The association of serum iron, serum ferritin and TIBC with primary tonic- clonic seizures. Iranian Journal of Neurology 2005; 3(9):6-11.
- Asadi-Pooya AA, Ghetmiri E. Red blood cell indices in children with idiopathic epilepsy: A case-control study. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2006; 108(6):614-5.
- Lozoff B, Beard J, Connor J, Barbara F, Georgieff M, et al. Long-lasting neural and behavioral effects of iron deficiency in infancy. Nutr Rev 2006; 64: S72–91.
- Febrile Seizure
- First Unprovoked Seizure
- Iron deficiency
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Abstract Viewed: 450 times
- PDF Downloaded: 224 times