Objective: The main purpose of this study was modifying anxiety and alexithymia by instructing emotional regulation skills among anxious female students in Tehran. Method: Quasi-experimental design was applied in this study. Convenient sampling method with 50 volunteer female high school students was utilized. Their scores ranged from 26-36 in Beck anxiety questionnaire and eligible to exclude- include criteria were selected and participants were randomly assigned into two experimental, and control group (each group included 25 subjects). Results: Data analysis and applying ANCOVA methods revealed the instructing emotional regulation skills could significantly decrease anxiety, and alexithymia among subjects in experimental in comparison to subjects in control group (P<0.05). Conclusion: Implementing cognitive and emotional regulation skills such as restructuring of content and process of sabotaging beliefs, modifying negative emotions, using reappraisal, reinterpretation, problem solving, mindfulness techniques, and emotional regulation could reduce anxiety and alexithymia symptoms in anxious students.
- Weems, C., & Silverman, W. (2008). Anxiety disorders. In T. P. Beauchaine, & S. P. Hinshaw (Eds.), Child and adolescent psychopathology (pp. 447-476). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Barlow, D. H. (2000). Unraveling the mysteries of anxiety and its disorders from the perspective of emotion theory. American Psychologist, 55: 1247-1263.
Barlow, D. (2002). Fear, anxiety, and theories of emotion. In D. Barlow (Ed.), Anxiety and its disorders (pp. 37-63). New York: Guildford Press.
- Merikangas, K. R., He, J., Burstein, M., Swanson, S. A., Avenevoli, S., Cui, L., et al. (2010). Lifetime prevalence of mental disorders in U.S. adolescents: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication-Adolescent supplement (NCS-A). Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 49: 980-9.
- Mocaiber, I., Pereira, M.G., Erthal, F.S., Figueira, I., Machado- Pinheiro, W., Cagy,M., Volchan, E., de Oliveira, L. (2009). Regulation of negative emotions in high trait anxious individuals: an ERP study. Psychology & Neuroscience, 2(2): 211 – 217.
- Jacob, M. L., Thomassin, K., Morelen, D., & Suveg, C. (2011). Emotion regulation in childhood anxiety. In D. McKay, & E. A. Storch (Eds.), Handbook of child and adolescent anxiety disorders (pp. 171-185). New York: Springer Science & Business Media.
- Mennin, D. S., Holaway, R., Fresco, D. M., Moore, M. T. & Heimberg, R. G. (2007). Delineating components of emotion and its dysregulation in anxiety and mood psychopathology. Behavior Therapy, 38, 284-302.
- Gross, J. J. (1998). The emerging field of emotion regulation: An integrative review. Review of General Psychology: Special Issue: New directions in research on emotion, 2, 271-299.
- Gross, J. J. (2001). Emotion regulation in adulthood: Timing is everything. Curent direction in psychological sience. 10, 214-219.
- Martini, T. S., Busseri, M. A. (2010). Emotion regulation strategies and goals as predictors of older mothers' and adult daughters' Helping-Related subjective Well-Being. Psychology and aging. 25, 48-59.
- Mathews, B. L., Kerns, K.A., Ciesla, J.A. (2014). Specificity of emotion regulation difficulties related to anxiety in early adolescence. Journal of Adolescence, 37, 1089-97
- Devine, H., Stewart, S.H., Watt, M.C. (1999). Relations between anxiety sensitivity and dimensions of alexithymia in a young adult sample. J Psychosom Res, 47:145−158.
- Galván, E. L. (2014). Alexithymia: indicator of communicative deficit in emotional health. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 132, 603 – 607.
- Apfel, R. J.; Sifneos, P. E. (1979). Alexithymia. Concept and measurement, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, 32, 180-190.
- Sifneos, P.E. (1973). Alexithymia: past and present. Am J Psychiatry, 153:137–43.
- Luminet, O., Vermeulen, N., Demaret, C., Taylor, G. J., & Bagby, R. M. (2006). Alexithymia and levels of processing: Evidence for an overall deficit in remembering emotion words. Journal of Research in Personality, 40, 713–733.
- Pollatos, O., Schubo¨ , A., Herbert, B. M., Matthias, E., & Schandry, R. (2008). Deficits in early emotional reactivity in alexithymia. Psychophysiology, 45, 839–846.
- Taylor, G.J. (1994). The alexithymia construct: Conceptualisation, validation and relationship with basic dimensions of personality. New Trends in Experimental and Clinical Psychiatry, 10, 61–74.
- Mazzone, L., Ducci,F., Scoto, M.C., Passaniti, E., D'Arrigo, V.G., Vitiello, B. (2007). The role of anxiety symptoms in school performance in a community sample of children and adolescents, BMC Public Health, 7: 347.
- Pandey, R., Saxena, P., Dubey, A., (2011). Emotion regulation difficulties in alexithymia and mental health, Europe,s Journal of Psychology, 7 (4): 604-623.
Isazadegan, E., Fathabadi, J., (1391). The role of cognitive emotion regulation strategies and general health in alexithymia, developmental Psychology: Iranian psychologists, 8 (31): 269-259
- Samani, S., & Sadeghi, L. (2010). Psychometric properties of the Cognitive Emotion Regulation Questionnaire. Journal of Physiology Model Method, 1 (1): 51-62.
- Mennin, D. S., Heimberg, R. G., Turk, C. L., & Fresco, D. M. (2005). Preliminary evidence for an emotion deregulation model of generalized anxiety disorder adult anxiety clinic of Temple University. Journal of Behavior Research and Therapy, 43 (10): 1281-1310.
- Werner, K. H., Goldin, P. R., Ball, T. M., Heimberg, R. G., Gross, J. J (2011).Assessing Emotion Regulation in Social Anxiety Disorder: The Emotion Regulation Interview. J Psychopathol Behav Assess, 33: 346–354.
- Eastabrook, J. M. (2013). Emotional Awareness and Alexithymia: Emotional Processing and Regulation in Adolescence. A dissertation, Canada: Queen’s University.
- Chen, J., Xu, T., Jing, J., Chan, R. CK. (2011). Alexithymia and emotional regulation: A cluster analytical approach. BMC Psychiatry,11: 33.
- Sifneos, P. (1972). Short-term psychotherapy and emotional crisis. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Moriguchi, Y., Ohnishi, T., Lane, R. D., Maeda, M., Mori, T., Nemoto, K., et al. (2006). Impaired self-awareness and theory ofmind: An fMRI study of mentalizing in alexithymia. NeuroImage, 32(3), 1472–82.
- Henry, J. D., Bailey, P. E., von Hippel, C., Rendell, P. G., & Lane, A. (2010). Alexithymia in
schizophrenia. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 32(8), 890–7.
- Herbert, B. M., Herbert, C., & Pollatos, O. (2011). On the relationship between interoceptive awareness and alexithymia: Is interoceptive awareness related to emotional awareness? Journal of Personality, 79(5): 1149–75.
- Philippot, P., Baeyens, C., & Douilliez, C. (2006). Specifying emotional information: Regulation of emotional intensity via executive processes. Emotion, 6(4): 560–71.
- van Rijn, S., Schothorst, P., Wout, M. V. T., Sprong, M., Ziermans, T., van Engeland, H., &
Swaab, H. (2011). Affective dysfunctions in adolescents at risk for psychosis: Emotion awareness and social functioning. Psychiatry Research, 187(1-2): 100–5.
- Thompson, R. A. (1994). Emotion regulation: a theme in search of definition. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 59, 25-52.
- Aldao, A. (2013). The future of emotion regulation research: Capturing context. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 8(2), 155–172.
- Berenbaum, H., Raghavan, C., Le, H. -N., Vernon, L. L., & Gomez, J. J. (2003). A taxonomy of emotional disturbances. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 10(2): 206–26.
- Gross, J., & John, O. (2003). Individual differences in two emotion regulation processes: Implications for affect, relationships, and well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 85(2): 348–62.
- Mennin, D., & Farach, F. (2007). Emotion and evolving treatments for adult psychopathology. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 14(4): 329–52.
- Kring, A. M., & Sloan, D. S. (2010). Emotion regulation and psycho-pathology. New York:
- Gyurak, A., Gross, J., & Etkin, A. (2011). Explicit and implicit emotion regulation: A dual process framework. Cognition & Emotion, 25(3), 400–12,
- Panksepp, J. (2003). At the interface of the affective, behavioral, and cognitive neurosciences: Decoding the emotional feelings of the brain. Brain and Cognition, 52(1), 4–14.
- Mauss, I. B., Cook, C. L., Cheng, J. Y. J., & Gross, J. (2007). Individual differences in cognitive reappraisal: Experiential and physiological responses to an anger provocation. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 66(2), 116–24.
- O'Driscoll, C., Laing, J., & Mason, O. (2014). Cognitive emotion regulation strategies, alexithymia and dissociation in schizophrenia, a review and meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review, 34, 482–95.
- Ndetei, D. M, Khasakhala, L., Nyabola, L., Ongecha-Owuor, F., Seedat, S., Mutiso, V., Kokonya, D., & Odhiambo, G. (2008). The prevalence of anxiety &depression symptoms & syndromes in Kenyan children & adolescents, journal of child and adolescent mental health, 20(1) : 33-51.
- Kendall, P.C., Compton, S.N., Walkup, J.T., Birmaher, B., Albano, A.M., Sherrill, J, et al. (2010). Clinical characteristics of anxiety disordered youth. J Anxiety Disord, 24(3): 360-5.
- Ahmadi, A., Mohamadi-Sartang, M., Nooraliee, P., Veisi, M., Rasouli, J. (2013). Prevalence of anxiety and its relationship with consumption of snacks in high school students in Shiraz. J Shahrekord Univ Med Sci, 15 (1): 83-90
- Khosravi, M., Bigdely, A. (2008). The relationship between personality factors and test anxiety among university students. Journal of behavioral sciences, 2 (1): 13- 24.
- Sarason, I. G .(1975). Anxiety and self-preoccupation. In I. G. Sarason & C.d. Spielberger (Eds), stress and anxiety (Vol.2). New York: Hemisphere/ Hastead.
- Beck, A.T., Steer, R. A.(1990). The Beck Anxiety Inventory Manual. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corporation.
- Bagby, R. M., Parker, J. D., & Taylor, G. J. (1994). The twenty-item Toronto Alexithymia Scale II: convergent, discriminant, and concurrent validity. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 38, 33–40.
- Gross, J. J. (2008). Emotional regulation. In. M. Lewis, j. M. Haviland-jones, M.L.E. Barrett (Eds.), Handbook of emotions (3rd ed.) (pp. 497-512). New York: The Guilford Press.
- Eippert, F., Veit, R., Weiskopf, N., Erb, M., Birbaumer, N., & Anders, S. (2007). Regulation of emotional responses elicited by threat-related stimuli. Human Brain Mapping, 28, 409-423.
- Goldin, P.R., McRae, K., Ramel, W., & Gross, J.J. (2008). The neural bases of emotion regulation: reappraisal and suppression of negative emotion. Biological Psychiatry, 63, 577-586.
Esmaili, L., Aghaee, A., Abedi, M., Esmaili, M. (2011). Effectiveness of emotion regulation in the mental health of epileptic girls. Journal of thought and behavior, 5 (20): 31-42
- Campbell-Sills, L., Barlow, D. H., Brown, T. A., & Hofmann, S. G. (2006). Effects of suppression and acceptance on emotional responses of individuals with anxiety and mood disorders. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 44, 1251–1263.
- Craske, M. G., Miller, P. P., Rotunda, R., & Barlow, D. H. (1990). A descriptive report of features of initial unexpected panic attacks in minimal and extensive avoiders. Behavior Research and Therapy, 28, 395–400.
- Hayes, S. C., Wilson, K. W., Gifford, E. V., Follette, V. M., & Strosahl, K. (1996). Emotional avoidance and behavioral disorders: A functional dimensional approach to diagnosis and treatment. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 64, 1152–1168.
- Gross, J. J., John, O. P. (2003).Individual difference in two emotion regulation processes; Implication for affect, relationships and well-being. Journal of personality and social psychology. 85, 348-362.
- D’Zurilla, T. J., Chang, E. C., Nottingham, E. J., & Faccini, I. (1998). Social problem solving deficits and hopelessness, depression, and suicideality in college students and psychiatric inpatients. Journal of Clinical Psychology. 54, 1-17.
- Aldao, A., Nolen-Hoeksema, S., & Schweizer, S. (2010). Emotion-regulation strategies across psychopathology:A meta-analytic review. Clinical Psychology Review,30,217-237.
- Roemer, L., Salters, K., Raffa, S., & Orsillo, S. M. (2005). Fear and avoidance of internal experiences in GAD: Preliminary tests of a conceptual model. Cognitive Therapy and Research. 29, 71–88.
- Roger, C., Allison, J.O., Pamela, M.S., David, J.A.(2008). A meta-analysis of CBT for pathological worry among clients with GAD. J Anxiety Disord, (22): 108-116.
- Kennedy, M., Franklin, J. (2002).Skills-based Treatment for Alexithymia: An Exploratory Case Series. Behaviour Change, 19(3), 158–171.
- Connelly, M., & Denney, D. R. (2007). Regulation of emotions during experimental stress in alexithymia. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 62: 649-656.
Shahgholian, M., Moradi, A., Kafi, S. (2007). The study of the relation between alexithymia and the styles of expressing emotions and general heath of students. Journal of clinical psychology and psychiatry of Iran, 3 (13): 238-248.
- Swart, M., Kortekaas, R., & Aleman, A. (2009). Dealing with feelings: Characterizations of trait alexithymia on emotion regulation strategies and cognitive–emotional processing. Retrieved October 25, 2011 from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1949.
- Vanheule, S., Verhaeghe, P., Desmet, M. (2011). In search of a framework for the treatment of alexithymia, Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 84, 84–97.
- Gannon, L.R., Haynes, S.N.(1986). Cognitive–physiological discordance as an etiological factor in psychophysiological disorders. Adv Behav ResTher, 8:223– 36.
- Jula, A., Saalminen, J.K., Saarijarvi, S. (1999). Alexithymia: a facet of essential hypertension. Hypertension, 33:1057–61.
- Friedlander, L., Lumley, M.A., Farchione, T., Doyal, G. (1997). Testing the alexithymia hypothesis: physiological and subjective responses during relaxation and stress. J Nerv Ment Dis, 185:233–9.
- Papciak, A.S., Feuerstein, M., Speigel, J.A. (1985). Stress reactivity in alexithymia: decoupling of physiological and cognitive processes. J Human Stress,11:135–42.
- Taylor, G. J. (2000). Recent developments in alexithymia theory and research. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 45(2), 134–142.
- Kupchik, M., Strous, R.D., Erez, R., Gonen, N., Weizman, A., Spivak, B.(2007). Demographic and clinical characteristics of motor vehicle accident victims in the community general health outpatient clinic: a comparison of PTSD and non-PTSD subjects. Depress Anxiety, 24:244−250.
- Turk, C.L., Heimberg, R.G., Luterek, J.A., Mennin, D.S., Fresco, D.M. (2005). Emotion dysregulation in generalized anxiety disorder: a comparison wih social anxiety disorder. Cognit Ther Res, 29:89−106.
- Karukivi, M. (2011). Associations between alexithymia and mental well-being in adolescents Unit of Adolescent Psychiatry. A dissertation, Finland: University of Turku.
- Haviland, M. G., Shaw, D. G., Cummings, M. A., & Mac Murray, J. P. (1988). Alexithymia subscales and relationship to depression. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, 50(3), 164–170.
- Honkalampi, K., Hintikka, J., Saarinen, P., Lehtonen, J., & Viinamaki, H. (2000). Is alexithymia a permanent feature in depressed patients? Results from a 6-month follow-up study. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, 69(6), 303–308