Background and Aim:
Pap smear test is the most effective and appropriate screening method for cervical cancer
prevention. This technique, due to early detection power in early stage of invasive cancers, causes
decreased mortality of cervical cancer. The purpose of this study was to assess the compliance
between the results of Pap smear test with biopsy specimens sent to the pathology department of the
Shaheed Sadoughi hospital.
Materials and Methods:
In this cross sectional study, 145 cytology and pathology specimens that was sent to the pathology
department of the Shaheed Sadoughi hospital were selected. Agreement between the result of
cytology test and pathology was analyzed with statistical software SPSS and kappa agreement test.
P<0.01 was considered statistically significant.
The result of cytology and pathology showed that there is a little agreement between cytology and
pathology results (P<0.01, K: 0.26).
According to the results, low levels of agreement was observed between the result of pop smear test
and pathology results. Therefore to promote quality of cytological reports, the improvement of
performance of midwives, cytologist and resident are recommended.
Uterine cancer; Pap-smear; Biopsy
Aghajani D M, Shafigh E and Mohammadpour T R (2006) [Comparison of cervix brush with spatula ayres for obtaining endocervical cells]. Journal of Birjand University of Medical Sciences. 13 (1) 32-7. (Persian)
- Bohraee A and Poorheidari M (2001) [Evaluation of education about pap smear test on resulted samples by midwife in medical center]. Journal of Tehran University of Medical Sciences. 59 (2) 85-9. (Persian)
- Bozorgan T and Behtash N (2003) [Comparison of pap smear alone and pap with acetic acid in diagnosis of cervical neoplasm]. Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences. 28 73-7. (Persian)
- Coldman A, Phillips N, Kan L, Matisic J, Benedet L and Towers L (2005) Risk of invasive cervical cancer after Pap smears: the protective effect of multiple negatives. Journal of medical screening. 12 (1) 7-11.
- d'Ottaviano-Morelli M G L, Zeferino L, Cecatti J G, Terrabuio D R and Martinez E Z (2004) Prevalence of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and invasive carcinoma based on cytological screening in the region of Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil. Cadernos de Saúde Pública. 20 (1) 153-9.
- Dunn T S, Jazbec A, Awad R and Batal H (2005) Papanicolaou screening in an urgent care setting. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 192 (4) 1084-6.
- Ergeneli M H, Duran E H, Ergin T, Demirhan B and Erdogan M (2001) Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance: clinical experience in a Turkish university hospital. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology. 96 (1) 108-10.
- Fakor F, Aghaee Nejad S and Moosavi S (2013) [Pathologic findings of endocervical curettage in routine colposcopy in abnormal pap smear]. Journal of Guilan University of Medical Sciences. 22 (87) 1-6. (Persian)
- Farajzadegan Z, Nourbakhsh S F, Mostajeran M and Loghmani A (2012) [Cervical cancer screening status in 35 to 60 year-old women in Isfahan, Iran]. Journal of Isfahan Medical School. 30 (208) 1542-9. (Persian)
- Ghaemmaghami F, Ensani F, Behtash N and Hosseini-Nejad E (2005) PAP smear with atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance. Archive of Iranian Medicine. 8 (3) 192-6.
- Giard R and Blok P (2000) Cervical smears unsuitable for exclusion of cervical carcinoma. Nederlands tijdschrift voor geneeskunde. 144 (2) 86-7.
- Izadi-Mood N, Sarmadi S, Heydari-Farzan F, Haeri H and Forouhesh-Tehrani Z (2011) [Determining the interobserver reproducibility of Pap smears in the diagnosis of epithelial cell abnormalities]. Tehran University Medical Journal. 69 (4) 237-44. (Persian)
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center M M, Ferlay J, Ward E and Forman D (2011) Global cancer statistics. CA: Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 61 (2) 69-90.
- Khadivi r, Ganji f, Taheri s, Sadegi m and Shahrani m (2007) [The evaluation of Papanicolaou (Pap) smear processing in the health centers of Shahrekord in 2005]. Journal of Shahrekord Uuniversity of Medical Sciences. 9 (1) 16-22. (Persian)
- Khatcheressian J L, Wolff A C, Smith T J, Grunfeld E, Muss H B, Vogel V G, Halberg F, Somerfield M R and Davidson N E (2006) American society of clinical oncology 2006 update of the breast cancer follow-up and management guidelines in the adjuvant setting. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 24 (31) 5091-7.
- Kotaska A J and Matisic J P (2003) Cervical cleaning improves Pap smear quality. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 169 (7) 666-9.
- Leyden W A, Manos M M, Geiger A M, Weinmann S, Mouchawar J, Bischoff K, Yood M U, Gilbert J and Taplin S H (2005) Cervical cancer in women with comprehensive health care access: attributable factors in the screening process. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 97 (9) 675-83.
- Mirzakhani K (2005) [The effect of ordering in endocervix-exocervix sampling on pap smear results]. Journal of Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences. 12 (2) 36-42. (Persian)
- Mohammadizadeh F and Taban N (2012) [The study of specimen adequacy according to the bethesda system 2001 classification in conventional pap smears from patients referred to beheshti hospital, Isfahan, Iran]. Journal of Isfahan Medical School. 29 (171) 2756-62. (Persian)
- Parkin D M and Bray F (2006) Chapter 2: The burden of HPV-related cancers. Vaccine. 24 Suppl 3 S3/11-25.
- Rahnama P, Faghihzadeh S and Ziaei S (2005) Effect of the sampling sequence on the quality of Papanicolaou smear. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 15 (1) 66-9.
- Ramazani F, Mohammad K, Rahgozar M and Naghavi M (2000) [Knowledge and practice of Iranian women for cervical cancer]. Journal of Fertility and Infertility. 50-6. (Persian)
- Riahi S M, Barakati A S, Mohammadi M, Nabipour A R, Sohayli J and Tavakoli A (2013) [Investigating the epidemiology of pap smear samples and influencing factors on cervical cells inflammation in tabas]. The Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility. 15 (34) 15-25. (Parnian)
- Rinku S, Vijayalakshmi I, Anupama S and Poonam C (2007) A prospective study of 86 cases of ascus (atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance) over two years. The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India. 75 (1) 73-6.
- Siegel R, Ward E, Brawley O and Jemal A (2011) Cancer statistics, 2011: the impact of eliminating socioeconomic and racial disparities on premature cancer deaths. CA Cancer J Clin. 61 (4) 212-36.
- William R, Keye J R and Marian D 2003. Disorders of the uterine cervix In: R. J. Scott (ed.) Danforth’s obstetrics and gynecology. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins