Assessing the effect of educational program via SMS service of mobile phone on knowledge and attitude towards self-care in type 2 diabetic patients in Chabahar
29 April 2019
Background and Aims: The aim of this study was to determine the effect of educational program implementation using mobile phone SMS service on knowledge and attitude towards self-care in type 2 diabetic patients.
Materials and Methods: This quasi-experimental clinical trial was performed with 74 diabetes patients in Chabahar. Patients were selected through purposeful sampling and randomly divided into two groups of 37 person, intervention and control groups. The data collection tools were demographic, knowledge and attitude questionnaires. Educational text messages were sent to the intervention group on a daily basis for four weeks. Two months after the intervention, the questionnaires was completed by participants in both groups. Data were analyzed by SPSS software version 16 and Chi-square, independent t-test, paired t-test and Mann-Whitney test. All stages of the study were conducted according to moral standards.
Results: Although the demographic variables were consistent in both groups (P˃0.05), the mean scores of knowledge and attitude of the two intervention and control groups were not significantly different before the training (P>0.05). However, following desired education, the difference in mean of knowledge and attitude scores between two intervention and control groups was statistically significant (P<0.001(.
Conclusion: The results indicated the effectiveness of educational intervention in improving the knowledge and attitude of patients through Sending SMS Educational Method (SSEM). Considering the advantages of this method, such as affordability and easy access, it is necessary to pay more attention.
Keywords: Knowledge, Attitude, Type 2 Diabetes, Self-care, SMS, Mobile Phone
- Azizi F, Janghorbani M, Hatami H. Epidemiology and control of common diseases in Iran. 3ed. Tehran: Khosravi 2012 (In Persian).
- Rakhshanderu S, Ghafari M, Hidarnia A, Rajab A. The effectiveness of educational intervention on metabolic control in diabetic patients referring to Iranian Diabetes Association. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid Disorders. 2010; 9:57-64 (In Persian).
- International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas International Diabetes Federation; 2015. Available from: http://www.diabetesatlas.org/.20feb2017. Accessed Jul 30, 2018.
- Sharifi N, Kaysalar M, Daniali M. Self-care in Minor Illnesses: Self-care Guide for the Family. Tehran: Parsaie Salamat 2015 (In Persian).
- WHO. Selfcare for health: A handbook for community health workers and volunteers. New Delhi: World Health Organization, Regional Office for South-East Asia 2013.
- Khazarlo S, Feizi A. The relationship between self-efficacy and function in patients suffering diabetes, diabetes clinic Oromie. School of Nursing and Midwifery 2013; 10(3):369-75 (In Persian).
- Landim CA, Zanetti ML, Santos MA, Andrade TA, Teixeira CR. Self‐care competence in the case of Brazilian patients with diabetes mellitus in a multi professional educational program. Journal of Clinical Nursing 2011; 20(23‐24):3394-403.
- Ishikawa H, Takeuchi T, Yano E. Measuring functional, communicative, and critical health literacy among diabetic patients. Diabetes Care 2008; 31(5):874-79.
- Rafieefar S, Ahmadzadeh Asl M, Sharifi MH. Comprehensive system of health education to patients in Islamic Republic of Iran: The Institute of without Borders Researchers 2005 (In Persian).
- Ramezani t. Degree of Depression and the Need for Counseling among Women with Breast Cancer in Kerman Chemotherapeutic Centers. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology 2001; 6(4):70-80 (In Persian).
- Dalewitz J, Khan N, Hershey CO. Barriers to control of blood glucose in diabetes mellitus. American Journal of Medical Quality 2000; 15(1):16-25.
- Adler AI, Stratton IM, Neil HAW, Yudkin JS, Matthews DR, Cull CA, et al. Association of systolic blood pressure with macrovascular and microvascular complications of type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 36): prospective observational study. BMJ 2000; 321(7258):412-19.
- Kumar CP. Application of Orem's Self‐Care Deficit Theory and Standardized Nursing Languages in a Case Study of a Woman with Diabetes. International Journal of Nursing Terminologies and Classifications 2007; 18(3):103-10.
- Kleinke J. Vaporware. com: The Failed Promise Of The Health Care Internet: Why the Internet will be the next thing not to fix the US health care system. Health Affairs 2000; 19(6):57-71.
- Wickramasinghe NS, Fadlalla AM, Geisler E, Schaffer JL. A framework for assessing e-health preparedness. International Journal of Electronic Healthcare 2005; 1(3):316-34.
- Blake H. Innovation in practice: mobile phone technology in patient care. British Journal of Community Nursing 2008; 13(4):160-65.
- Peck A. Changing the face of standard nursing practice through telehealth and telenursing. Nursing Administration Quarterly 2005; 29(4):339-43.
- Wangberg SC, Årsand E, Andersson N. Diabetes education via mobile text messaging. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 2006; 12:55-56.
- Goodarzi M, Ebrahimzadeh I, Rabi A, Saedipoor B, Jafarabadi MA. Impact of distance education via mobile phone text messaging on knowledge, attitude, practice and selfefficacy of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Iran. Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders 2012; 11(1):10. https://doi.org/10.1186/2251-6581-11-10.
- Noohi E, Khandan M, Mirzazadeh A. Effective of electronic education on knowledge attitude and self-care in patient’s diabetic type 2 refer to diabetic center of Kerman University of Medical Science. Iranian Journal of Nursing Research 2011; 6(22):73-80 (In Persian).
- Baghiani Moghadam M, Taheri G, Fallah Zadeh H, Parsa M. The effect of instructional designed SMS based on Health Belief Model (HBM) on adoption of self-care behavior of patients with type II diabetes. Modern Care Journal 2014; 11(1):10-8 (In Persian).
- Shahab Jahanloo A. Step-by-step guide to medical and health research. Tehran: Daria 2010 (In Persian).
- Barker K, Mallow J, Theeke L, Schwertfeger R. A telehealth rural practice change for diabetes education and management. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners 2016; 12(5):e225-e29.
- Chan WM, Woo J, Hui E, Lau WW, Lai JC, Lee D. A community model for care of elderly people with diabetes via telemedicine. Applied Nursing Research 2005; 18(2):77-81.
- Heinrich E, de Nooijer J, Schaper NC, Schoonus-Spit MH, Janssen MA, de Vries NK. Evaluation of the web-based Diabetes Interactive Education Programme (DIEP) for patients with type 2 diabetes. Patient Education and Counseling 2012; 86(2):172-78.
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 53 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 13 بار