Survey of the relationship between Quality of Work Life with Musculoskeletal Disorders and Hearing Loss
29 April 2019
Background and Aims: Measuring and determining the components of quality of work life is one of the most important concerns of human resource management. This study examines the relationship between quality of work life with musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) and hearing loss as indicators of HSE in an automobile manufacturing company.
Materials and Methods: The statistical population of this descriptive-analytical study consists of 392 employees of company who were randomly selected from different departments using Morgan table. Required data was collected using an improved NIOSH quality of work life questionnaire, body map and audiogram. SPSS software (version 23) was employed for descriptive and regression analyses. All stages of this research were conducted ethically.
Results: The findings showed that the mean score for quality of work life was 171.13, ranging from 101 to 212. The greatest sensation of pain, based on the results, was at the end of the lumbar region with a frequency of 40.31 percent and the least was reported in palm left hand with a frequency of 6.38 percent. Furthermore, 6.3% of respondents showed hearing disability. Statistical analyses showed that there is significant relationship between the quality of work life and musculoskeletal diseases (p = 0.000) as well as the quality of work life and the rates of hearing loss (p = 0.000).
Conclusion: Also, statistically significant relationship were noticed between the quality of working life and the level of health and safety, mental health, physical health, and employment in a noisy environment . If correct management issues of quality of work life were implemented, improved health indicators and subsequently improved quality of work life could be seen in an organization.
Keywords: Quality of Work Life, Musculoskeletal Diseases, Hearing Loss
- Aghilinejad M, Farshad, A.A, Mostafai, M, Ghafary M. Occupational medicine and occupational diseases. Tehran: Arjomand Publications 2010 (In Persian).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Quality of work life questionnaire. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2016. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/stress/qwlquest.html. Accessed Jan. 15, 2014.
- Dick RB, Lowe B, Ming-Lun L, Krieg EF. Further Trends in Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders-A Comparison of Risk factors for Symptoms Using Quality of Work Life Data From the 2002, 2006 and 2010 General Social Survey. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine/American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2015; 57(8):910-28.
- Malakpour F, Mohamadian Y, Moharramipour A, Malakpour AR. Survey of Relationship between muscle skeletal disorders, physical activity and quality of life in the workers of automobile pieces manufacturing industry. Journal of Ergonomics 2014; 2(1):19-26 (In Persian).
- Nasiry Zarrin Ghabaee D, Haresabadi M, Bagheri Nesami M, Talebpour Amiri F. Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders and Their Relationships with the Quality of Life in Nurses. Journal of Ergonomics 2016; 4(1):39-46 (In Persian).
- Choobineh A, Daneshmandi H, Parand M, Ghobadi R, Haghayegh A, Zare F. The Survey of Quality of Work Life and Determination of Its Related Factors in Shiraz University of Medical Sciences Staff. Journal of Ergonomics 2013; 1(2):56-62 (In Persian).
- Hematjo Y, Soleymani F. Importance of ergonomics and safety in the quality of working life. Proceedings of the 1st International Ergonomics Conference of Iran 2008 May. 7-8; Tabriz, Iran (In Persian).
- Zakerian SA, Teymouri G, AhmadNejad I, AbbasiNia M, Rahmani A, Asghari M. Evaluation and effect Dimension of quality of work life on job satisfaction in the automotive industry. Journal of Ergonomics 2014; 1(3):36-46 (In Persian).
- Dargahi H, Gharib M, Goodarzi M. Quality of work life in nursing employees of Tehran University of Medical Sciences hospitals. Journal of Hayat 2007; 13(2):13-21 (In Persian).
- Abdollahpour I, Salimi y, nedjat s, jorjoran shushtari z. Quality of life and effective factors on it among governmental staff in Boukan City. Urmia Medical Journal 2011; 22(1):40-47 (In Persian).
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 44 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 15 بار