Assessment of Quality of Work Life and Factors Related to it Based on the Walton's model: A Cross- Sectional Study in Employment of Health and Treatment Sectors in Islamabad City
29 April 2019
Background and Aims: Healthcare centers coupled with hospitals are the most important organizations that provide health related services for people and society. On the other hand, high quality of work life is necessary to maintain and motivate employees. This study conducted with the aim of assessing quality of work life and its related factors in healthcare staff.
Materials & Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted on totally 158 respondents consisting of all employees of nursing, laboratory, radiology and operating room of Imam Khomeini hospital and health centers of Islamabad Gharb city. In order to data collection, the questionnaires of demographics and Walton's quality of work life were used. In this study, all ethical issues were considered throughout all steps. Data was analyzed with Pearson correlation coefficient, Mann-Whitney, and Kruskal-Walis test via SPSS19 software.
Results: Among all participants, 36.7% of employee had low quality of life, 61.4 medium and 1.9 reported high quality of work life. There was no significant relationship between quality of life and sex, age, marital status, place of work, work patterns, education level and the type of employment (P-valve > 0.05).
Conclusion: Regarding low and medium quality of life in studied employees, some interventions seem necessary to increase the quality of life level such as improving work condition, better relationships in workplace, and more financial and moral supports.
- González-Baltazar R, Hidalgo-Santacruz G, León-Cortés SG, Contreras-Estrada MI, Aldrete-Rodríguez MG, Hidalgo-González BJ, et al. Quality of work life and mental health in primary care physicians. Procedia Manufacturing 2015; 3:4935-40.
- Kanten S, Sadullah O. An empirical research on relationship quality of work life and work engagement. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 2012; 62:360-66.
- Razak NA, Ma’amor H, Hassan N. Measuring reliability and validity instruments of work environment towards quality work life. Procedia Economics and Finance 2016; 37:520-28.
- Narehan H, Hairunnisa M, Norfadzillah RA, Freziamella L. The effect of quality of work life (QWL) programs on quality of life (QOL) among employees at multinational companies in Malaysia. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 2014; 112:24-34.
- Noor SM, Abdullah MA. Quality work life among factory workers in Malaysia. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 2012; 35:739-45.
- Goodarzi HT, JaberAnsari M, Azadi R. An investigation the relationship between quality of work life and social capital (A case study: staff of mehr-e-eghtesad bank, Markazi Province). International Journal of Business and Management Invention 2013; 21(8):38-49.
- Mani K, Sritharan R, Gayatri R. Impact of occupational stress on quality work life among railway station masters of trichy division. Bonfring International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management Science 2014; 4(4):165-69.
- Bolhari A, Rezaeean A, Bolhari J, Zare F. The impact of occupational stress on quality of work life among the staff of e-workspace. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 2012; 67(2012):314-18.
- Seelan Rethinam G, Ismail M. Constructs of quality of work life: A perspective of information and technology professionals. European Journal of Social Sciences 2007; 7(1):58-70.
- Normala D. Investigating the relationship between quality of work life and organizational commitment amongst employees in Malaysian firms. International Journal of Business and Management 2010; 5(10):75-82.
- Choobineh A, Daneshmandi H, Parand M, Ghobadi R, Haghayegh A, Zare F. The Survey of quality of work life and determination of its related factors in Shiraz University of Medical Sciences staff. Iranian Journal of Ergonomics 2013; 1(2):56-62 (In Persian).
- Almalki MJ, FitzGerald G, Clark M. The relationship between quality of work life and turnover intention of primary health care nurses in Saudi Arabia. BMC Health Services Research 2012; 12(1):314.
- Serey TT. Choosing a robust quality of work life. Business Forum 2006; 2(27):7-10.
- Mosadeghrad AM, Ferlie E, Rosenberg D. A study of relationship between job stress, quality of working life and turnover intention among hospital employees. Health Services Management Research 2011; 24(4):170-81.
- Bakhshi E, Kalantari R. Investigation of quality of work life and its relationship with job performance in health care workers. Journal of Occupational Hygiene Engineering 2017; 3(4):31-37 (In Persian).
- Gayathiri R, Ramakrishnan L, Babatunde S, Banerjee A, Islam M. Quality of work life–Linkage with job satisfaction and performance. International Journal of Business and Management Invention 2013; 2(1):1-8.
- Marofi M, Mousaviasl F, Hemati Z. The relationship between burnout and quality of work life in pediatric and neonatal intensive care unit nurses. Iranian Journal of Pediatric Nurses 2016; 3(1): 9-14 (In Persian).
- Beh L, Rose RC. Linking QWL and job performance: Implications for organizations. Performance Improvement 2007; 46(6):30-35.
- Timossi L, Pedroso B, Francisco A, Pilatti L, editors. Evaluation of quality of work life: an adaptation from the s qwl model. Proceedings of the XIV International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management 2008 Oct. 13-16; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Ghaleei A, Mohajeran B, Taajobi M, Imani B. Relationship between quality of work life and occupational stress in staff of Bu-ali Sina university of Hamadan, 2013. Pajouhan Scientific Journal 2015; 13(4):60-66 (In Persian).
- Kelbiso L, Belay A, Woldie M. Determinants of Quality of Work Life among Nurses Working in Hawassa Town Public Health Facilities, South Ethiopia: A Cross-Sectional Study. Nursing Research and Practice 2017;1-11.
- Thakre SB, Thakre SS, Thakre SN. Quality of work life of nurses working at tertiary health care institution: a cross sectional study. International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health 2017; 4(5):1627-36.
- Moradi T, Maghaminejad F, Azizi-Fini I. Quality of working life of nurses and its related factors. Nursing and Midwifery Studies 2014; 3(2):19450-50.
- Momeni B, Shafipour V, Esmaeili R, Yazdani Charati J. The relationship between the quality of work life and sleep in nurses at the intensive care units of teaching hospitals in Mazandaran, Iran. Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Sciences 2016; 3(1):28-34.
- Mohammadi M, Mozaffari N, Dadkhah B, Etebari Asl F, Etebari Asl Z. Study of work-related quality of life of nurses in Ardabil Province Hospitals. Journal of Health and Care 2017; 19(3):108-16
- Mirkamali SM, Thani FN. A study on the quality of work life (QWL) among faculty members of University of Tehran (UT) and Sharif University of Technology (SUT). Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 2011; 29:179-87 (In Persian).
- Dehghan Nayeri N, Salehi T, Ali Asadi Noghabi A. Quality of work life and productivity among Iranian nurses. Contemporary Nurse 2011; 39(1):106-18.
- Kintner E. Development and preliminary evaluation of the participation in life activities scale for children and adolescents with asthma: an instrument development study. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 2008; 6.
- Sundberg R, Palmqvist M, Tunsäter A, Torén K. Health-related quality of life in young adults with asthma. Respiratory Medicine 2009; 103(10):1580-85.
- Carayon P, Hajnal C. A diary study of computer use and worker stress: preliminary results. Advances in Human Factors Ergonomics 1993; 19:715-20.
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 70 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 19 بار