Exploring rural sewage management approaches using the SWOT technique Case study: Roodbar Qasran area
16 February 2019
Background and Aims: The management of sewage plays an important role in promoting human health and environmental protection as well as achieving sustainable development in the country’s water resources. Evaluation of available water resources coupled with development of waste management strategies is crucial to achieve this goal.
Materials and Methods: In this study, a SWOT technique was applied for assessment and to provide strategies for Rudbar Qasran Rural Wastewater Management. The data were collected using field observations and a questionnaire. The research community consisted of experts and managers who dominate the present status of sewage management in the region. In this method, effective factors of sewage management in the present situation
in the region were analyzed by hierarchical analysis method. Appropriate strategies for sewage management in the studied villages were then created and prioritized using SWOT technique. Data analysis was conducted using SPSS software (version 16). The study was carried out ethically and there was no bias and confinement on the part of the researcher during the research process.
Results: The results obtained showed that total score of the internal and external matrix factors were 2.298 and 2.213, respectively. Based on the results of the present study, wastewater managing approach in Roodbar Ghasran villages is located in the defensive zone from the strategic point of view. It pose also weakness based on internal factor and threatened due to its external factors.
Conclusion: The use of defensive strategies that could minimize the weaknesses and threats, promotes sewage management in the existing situation.
Keywords: srategic management, rural wastewater, Roudbar Ghasran area, SWOT technique
- Harwood VJ, Staley C, Badgley BD, Borges K, Korajkic A. Microbial source tracking markers for detection of fecal contamination in environmental waters: Relationships between pathogens and human health outcomes. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 2014; 38(1):1-40.
- Farber JM, Couture H, Kozak GK. National legislation, guidelines & standards governing microbiology | Canada. In: Batt CA, Tortorello ML, editors. Encyclopedia of Food Microbiology.2nd ed. Oxford: Academic Press; 2014.
- Terra dS, Peterson K, Andrade F, Gardner J, Ascherio A. Circumstances of post-neonatal deaths in Ceara, Northeast Brazil: Mother's health care-seeking behaviors during their infants' fatal illness. Social Science & Medicine 2000; 51(11):1675-93.
- Moharam Nejad N. Management and Planning of Environment. Tehran: Day Negar Publication 2006 (In Persian).
- Yevjevich V. Effects of area and time horizons in comprehensive and integrated water resources management. Water Science and Technology 1995; 31(8):19-25.
- Jozi A, Jafarpour J. Environmental Management.Tehran: Agricultural Science Publication 2013 (In Persian).
- Riyazi B, Ghasemi N, Dabiri F, Pourkarimi E. Review of the legal status - environmental of groundwater resources used in wine in Tehran. Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 2008; 9(2):85-94(In Persian).
- Fahiminia M, Memari Gh, Akbari Gh. Evaluation of current situation,limitations and solutions of the rural waste water management of the country (case study of the rural areas with more than 200 families). Proceedings of the 10th National Conference on Environmental Health 2007 Nov. 1-2; Hameda, Iran (In Persian).
- Noori A, Nazari M, Dollati N, Tallebi M. Report on the experience and function of collection and management of sewage and its impact on the eradication of contagious diseases. Proceedings of2nd National and 1st International Conference of Best Practices of Primary Health Care 2012Oct. 30; Bojnord, Iran (In Persian).
- Pardeshi G, Shirke A, Jagtap M. SWOT analysis of total sanitation campaign in Yavatmal district of Maharashtra. Indian journal of community medicine: official publication of Indian Association of Preventive & Social Medicine 2008; 33(4):255.
- Aspan H, Milanie F, Khaddafi M. SWOT Analysis of the regional development strategy city field services for clean water needs. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences 2015; 5(16):385-97.
- Fahiminia M, Mahvi AM. The wastewater management in small societies and rural areas of the Country. Case study of the rural areas in Qom Provience. Proceedings of the 7th National Conference on Environmental Health 2004 Sep. 14-16; Shahrkord, Iran (In Persian).
- Patel KK, Bhagat SS. Swot analysis for improve solid waste management and waste water management in Amod Town, Bharuch, Gujarat. International Journal of Scientific Research and Development 2016; 4(3): 427-30.
- Sada R. Urban river degradation: implemented measures and possible ecohydrological approach for sustainable management (A case of Hanumante River, Bhaktapur, Nepal). Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259842864_Urban_River_Degradation_Implemented_Measures_and_Possible_Ecohydrological_Approach_for_Sustainable_Management_A_Case_of_Hanumante_River_Bhaktapur_Nepal.
- Rahm BG, Bates JT, Bertoia LR, Galford AE, Yoxtheimer DA, Riha SJ. Wastewater management and Marcellus Shale gas development: trends, drivers, and planning implications. Journal of Environmental Management 2013; 120:105-13.
- Kashfi alasl M, Zaeem dar M. The need for quality management for Jajrod River. Jornal of Science and Technology in Environmental Studies. 2009; 11(2):119-29 (In Persian).
- Gavrilescu M, Demnerová K, Aamand J, Agathos S, Fava F. Emerging pollutants in the environment: present and future challenges in biomonitoring, ecological risks and bioremediation. New biotechnology 2015; 32(1):147-56.
- El-Zanfaly HT. Water quality and health in Egyptian Rural Areas. Journal of Environment Protection and Sustainable Development. 2015; 1(4):203-10.
- Pishrafti H, Eisa Zadeh S, Norouzi H, Maam Sahebi S. The design of the wastewater treatment facility of the Ahhar rural area in Tehran using the advance method of A2/0. Proceedings of the 7th National Conference on Environmental Health 2004 Sep. 14-16; Shahrkord, Iran (In Persian).
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 99 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 36 بار