A survey on the attitudes of health educators towards clients’ education and their educational effectiveness: a cross-sectional study in health care centers in Ghaemshahr
22 April 2018
چکیدهBackground and Aims: Health education is one of the important tasks of health care centers employees. The aim of this study was to investigate the attitudes of health educators towards clients’ education and their educational effectiveness in health care centers of Ghaemshahr.
Materials and Method: Totally 190 employees of health care centers in Ghaemshahr city involved in health education were included in this study. The research was conducted in 2016. Data collection instruments entails two questionnaires including efficacy education questionnaire and a questionnaire on attitude towards education. Collected data were analyzed by descriptive indexes, correlation tests and
multivariate linear regression. Ethical issues were also considered in all stages of study.
Results: Studied subjects had 38 ± 7.64 years of old. 78.4% of the subjects were female and the remaining 21.6% were male. Respectively, 45.3%, 42.1% and 12.6% of the subjects described their educational effectiveness as good, moderate and poor. About 97.9% of the health educator's had a positive attitude
towards education. Also, there was a significant positive correlation between the effectiveness of education and attitudes towards education (p<0.001).
Conclusion: In this study, there was a statistically significant relationship between attitude toward education and educational effectiveness. The observed relationship between these two variables can be exploited to improve the level of effective teaching by health educators.
- Khayati F, Saberi H. Primary health care (PHC) an ever strategy for health equity extension. Journal of
Health Administration 2009; 12(35):33-40 (In Persian).
- Atun R. What are the advantages and disadvantages of restructuring a health care system tobe more
focused on primary care services? Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe 2004.
- Shadpour K. Health sector reform in Islamic Republic of Iran. The Journal of Qazvin University of
Medical Sciences 2006; 10(3):7-20 (In Persian).
- Homedes N, Ugalde A. Why neoliberal health reforms have failed in Latin America. Health Policy
- Kianian T, Zare M, Ildarabadi E, Karimi Moonaghi H, Saber S. Evaluation of training competency of health
care workers in training clients and patients. Journal of Nursing Education 2014; 3(1):51-60 (In Persian).
- Glanz K, Rimer BK, Viswanath K. Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and
Practice. 4th ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass 2008.
- Khademi H, Kaviani N, Araghizadeh AM, Jafari MR. Knowledge and attitudes of Isfahan township’s
Behvarzes toward prevention of oral and dental diseases. Journal of Hormozgan University of Medical
Sciences 2007; 11(1):91-95 (In Persian).
- Rezaei AM, Arshadi FS . Health and treatments network actions in health education in Ilam. Journal of
Ilam University of Medical Sciences 2001; 9(31):24-29 (In Persian).
- Fakhri M, Yaghoobian M, Mohseni Bandpei MA, Enayati AA, Shirvani MA, Tirgar Fakheri H. Reliability
of the teaching evaluation instrument of the instructors working. Journal of Mazandaran University of
Medical Sciences 2012; 21(86):38-46 (In Persian).
- WHO. Transformative scale up of health professional education:an effort to increase the numbers
of health professionals and to strengthen theirimpact on population health. Geneva: World Health
- Porsadegh N. Approaches to evaluating training effectiveness. Tadbir Monthly Magazine 2005;
(160):57-64 (In Persian).
- Ataee E, Haghjoo M, Dalvandi A, Bakhshandeh H. Effect of self-care education on quality of life
among patients with permanent pacemaker. Cardiovascular Nursing Journal 2013; 1(4):40-47 (In Persian).
- Ramsay J. Comprehensive assessment of community health worker (CHW) readiness to deliver
asthma education in the community: Innovative approaches to chw hiring, training, and the evaluation of
job performance. 141st APHA Annual Meeting and Exposition 2013; USA.
- Caliskan D. Diabetes education: Diabetes mellitus patient often need more awareness and knowledge
of their condition. 2006. Available from: http:www.diabeteseducationcenter.com. Accessed Sep 4, 2006.
- Johnson HH, Glascoff MA, Lovelace K, Bibeau DL, Tyler ET. Assessment of public health educator
practice: health educator responsibilities. Health Promotion Practice 2005; 6(1):89-96.
- Farhadian F, Tootoonchi M, Changiz T, Haghani F, Oveis Gharan S. Faculty members’ attitude towards
their skills and educational needs in teaching practical courses. Journal of Strides in Development of
Medical Education 2009; 5(2):143-47 (In Persian).
- Haddad M. Viewpoints of employed nurses in hospitals of Birjand city regarding existing barriers in
patient education. Modern Care Journal 2011; 8(3):152-58 (In Persian).
- Wingard R. Patient education and the nursing process: meeting the patient’s needs. Nephrology
Nursing Journal 2005; 32(2):211-14.
- Husnayati H, Bunyarit F, Ramlah H. Instructional design and E-learning: Examining learners’
perspective in Malaysian Institutions of Higher Learning. Campus-Wide Information Systems 2009;
- Moghimi M, Ramezan M. Management Research. Tehran: Rahdan Publications 2011 (In Persian).
- Mohammadi AM, Dadkhah B. The insight of nurses in patient training. Iranian Journal of Nursing and
Midwifery Research 2004; 9(2):61-67 (In Persian).
- Goudarzi Z, Khosravi K, Bahrani N, Vaskooii K, Valipourgavgany P, Ghoghaei S, et al. A study of
professional nurses’ perceptions of factors affecting the process of client education. Hayat 2005; 10(4):57-
- Park MY. Nurses’ perception of performance and responsibility of patient education. Korean Academy
of Nursing 2005; 35(8):1514-21.
- Lin CJ, Hsu CH, Li TC, Mathers N, Huang YC. Measuring professional competency of public health
nurses: development of a scale and psychometric evaluation. Journal of Clinical Nursing 2010; 19(21-
- Foladvand F. Educational need assessment and practice: health system of Shiraz University of Medical
Sciences. 2016. Available from: http://fhc.sums.ac.ir/index.php. Accessed Jul 30, 2016 (In Persian).
- Kianian T, Zare M, Ildarabadi E, Karimi Moonaghi H, Saber S. A comparison of the health workers
self-evaluation of training competency with observation check list of the performance and evaluation of
the rate of clients satisfaction. Journal of Zabol University of Medical Sciences and Health Services 2015;
(4):50-59 (In Persian)
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 77 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 30 بار