The influence of exploited compounds type in the vermicompost medium on the quality of produced compost from kitchen waste, garden waste and cow dung by Eisenia fetida
1 January 2017
Background and Aims: The production of fertilizer from waste by the use of worms (vermicomposting), covers all positive environmental, health and economic aspects. Therefore, this study aimed to evaluate the effect of different media on the quality of produced compost from solid waste.
Materials and Methods: Three different media including kitchen waste, rotting foliage of trees and animal waste were designated in the present study through 20 treatments. TKN, P, TC, pH, EC, Na, K, and moisture, ash, organic matter contents as well as C/N ratio and physical properties of produced compost were analyzed at the end of composting process.
Results: The results showed that the quality of produced compost was in conformity with current standards in all 20 studied treatments. With regard to the high contents of nitrogen in raw material in some treatments such as M, N, O, Q, R, and U, the corresponding ratio of N in achieved compost was higher than other treatments. A survey of worm growth in studied samples revealed that U (leaf 90% and food waste 10%) and Q (leaf 90% and food waste 10%) treatments superbly overcame other treatments with 266 and 253 worms, respectively.
Conclusion: Our study found that the type of raw material has a paramount importance on the compost quality, so that any change in the composition can affect the compost production process and the reproduction of worms mainly through the changes in the presence or absence of macro and micronutrients.
Thus, optimization of media components, is of particular importance affecting the efficient use of capital investments and reducing the time duration of vermicomposting.
Keywords: Vermicompost, Eisenia fetida, Kitchen waste, Animal waste
For downloading the full text please click here
- Parvaresh A, Movahedian H, Hamidian L. Survey of chemical quality and fertilizer value of
vermicomposted prepared from municipal wastewater sludge. Water and Wastewater 2004; 15(2):29-33
- Yousefi Z, Zazouli M A, Azizi M, et al. Production of compost from domestic waste by aerobic method
& earthworm and effect of alternatery loading on that. Proceedings of the 6th National Conference on Environmental Health 2003 Oct. 10-12; Mazandaran, Iran (In Persian).
- Rostami R, Nabaey A, Eslami A, Najafi H, Fazlzadeh M, Najaji salah H. Effect of preparation time on the speed of the process of vermicompost production of food wastes. Journal School of Public Health and
Institute of Health Research 2009; 7(2):69-76 (In Persian).
- Zazouli MA, Ardebilian M B, Ghahramani E. Principales of compost production technology. 2nd ed.Tehran: Khaniran publication 2012; P:49-54 (In Persian).
- Asgharnia H. Survey of preparation of domestic compost by earthworm (eisenia fetida). 2nd ed. Tehran:
Tehran University of Medical science publication 2003; P:160-62 (In Persian).
- Avan A, Hosainian M, Ghasemzadhe F, Kermanshahi H. Production of high producing varieties earthworm (Eisenia foetida) and its importance in the production vermicomposting and its application in agricultural biology and production of food supplements. Proceedings of the 4th National Conference on
Waste Management 2008 Apr. 21-23; Mashhad, Iran (In Persian).
- Gheisari S, Danash SH, Abedini Torghabeh J. Vermicompost potentioal in recycling of vegetables waste (a case report: Mashhad herbage vermicomposting). Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences
; 16(2):182-88 (In Persian).
- Azimzad B. Evaluation of biological waste recycling restaurants vermicompost by earthworm species Eisenia foetida. Tehran, Iran. Proceedings of the 6th National Conference & Exhibition on Environmental Engineering 2012 Nov. 17-21 (In Persian).
- Pirsaheb M, Sharafi K, Shayan S. Household-scale production of vermicompost by Eisenia fetida. Journal of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences 2012; 11(2)38-46: (In Persian).
- Moeinian KH, Ghaeni GH R, Kelaki H, Latifi A. Survey on vermicomposting of selected herbage waste with and without biological sludge using Damghan endemic earthworm. Proceedings of the 6th National Conference on Environmental Health 2003 Oct. 10-12; Mazandaran, Iran (In Persian).
- Khalfi M, Ghanavi Z, Rezazade S. Comparison of chmical quality of compost and vermicompost produced from suger beet waste. Proceedings of the 7th National Conference on Environmental Health 2004 Oct. 10-12; Sharekurd, Iran (In Persian).
- Hashemimajd K. Converting of sewage sludge to vermicompost using native earthworms. Journal of Agricultural Research: Water, Soil and Plants in Agriculture 2008; 8(2):35-44 (In Persian).
- Sufyan J, Hajeamalaki KH, Sharyfi S, Sharifi A. Use autum leaves was from the trees to grow any Eisenia fetida earthworms and vermicompost production of cheap organic. Proceedings of the 1th National Conference on Strategies for Achieve Sustainable Development 2011 (In Persian).
- Khwairakpam M, Bhargava R. Vermitechnology for sewage sludge recycling. Journal of Hazardous Materials 2009; 161:948–54.
- Suthar S. Vermicomposting of vegetable-market solid waste using Eisenia fetida: Impact of bulking material on earthworm growth and decomposition rate. Ecological Engineering 2009; 35:914-20.
- Kaviraj G, Satyawati S. Municipal solid waste management through vermicomposting employing exotic and local species of earthworms. Bioresource Technology 2003; 90:169–73.
- Singh J, Kaur A, Vig AP, Rup PJ. Role of Eisenia fetida in rapid recycling of nutrients from biosludge of beverage industry. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 2010; 73:430–35.
- Abrahimi A, Poorelaghbandan H, KHazaali SH, Shahsavari A, Salhi A. The first complete reference of quality management of organic fertilizer production. Esfahan: Esfahan Municipal Recycling and
conversion of waste Organization, Danshpazhoohan Institution Publications 2008; P: 685-524 (In Persian).
- Elvira C, Sampedro L, Benitez E, NogSales R. Vermicomposting of sludge by paper mill and dairy industrial with Eisenia andrei: a pilot- scale study. Bioresource Technology 1998; 63:205-11.
- Rostami R, Nabaey A, Eslami A, Najafi H, Fazlzadeh M. Variation of compost’s qualitative and quantitative indices in vermicomposting process. Journal of Health Ardabil University of Medical Sciences
; 1(3):16-22 (In Persian).
- Suthar S, Singh S. Vermicomposting of domestic waste by using two epigeic earthworms. International Journal of Environmental Scince Technico 2008; 5 (1)99-106:.
- Safari A R, Alidadi H, Najafpour A A. Determining the right combination to produce vermicompost using composting of municipal waste, sawdust and shredded leaves. Proceedings of the 4th National Conference on Environmental Health 2001 Oct. 10-12; Yazd, Iran (In Persian).
- Garg P, Gupta A, Satya S. Vermicomposting of different types of waste using Eisenia foetida: A comparative study. Bioresource Technology 2006; 97:391–95.
- Asgharnia H A, Omrani Gh A, Amouei A I, Kariminia G. Ability compost production from household refuse by Earthworm Eisenia foetida. Proceedings of the 6th National Conference on Environmental Health 2003 Oct. 10-12; Mazandaran, Iran (In Persian).
- Faraji Z A, Alikhani H A, Savaghabi GH R, Saleh Rastin N. Evaluate the effectiveness of the epithelial worms certain of native of northern Iran in the technology vermicompost. Proceedings of the Congress Soil, Environment and Sustainable Development 2006 Dec. 5-6; Karaj, Iran (In Persian).
- Hashemi Majd K, Kalbasi M , Golchin A, Shariatmadari H. Identifying “Eisenia foetida”, a native compost worm of some north and northwest parts of Iran and evaluation of its ability in vermicompost production. Journal Water and Soil Science 2004; 7 (4):61-69 (In Persian).
- Ghoush M, Chattopadhyay GN, Baral K. Transformation of phosphorus during vermicomposting. Bioresource Thechnology 1999; 69:149-54.
- Bansal S, Kapoor KK. Vermicomposting of crop residues and cattle dung with Eisenia foetida. Bioresource Technology 2000; 73:95-98.
- Hartenstein R, Hartenstein F. Physicochemical change effected in activaed sludge by the Eearthworm Eisenia Fetida. Journal Environmental Quality 1981; 10:377-81.
- Ndgwa PM, Thompson SA, Das KC. Eeffect of stocking density and feeding rate on vermcomposting of biosolids. Bioresource Technology 2000; 71:5-12.
- Mitchell A. Production of Eisenia Fetida and vermicomposting from cattle manure. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 1997; 29(3-4)763-66:.
- Hashemi SHR, Beheshti AM, Falahi Z, Safigholy S. Evaluation of the most suitable substrate for the production of vermicompost. Proceedings of the 2nd National Conference on Healthy Environment for Sustainable Agricultural Development 2013 Sep. 12; Hamadan, Iran (In Persian).
- Domínguez J, Edwards CA, Webster M. Vermicomposting of sewage sludge: Effect of bulking materials on the growth and reproduction of the earthworm Eisenia Andrei. Journal Pedobiologia 2000; 44:24–32.
- چکیده مشاهده شده: 211 بار
- PDF (English) دانلود شده: 70 بار